1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Layers offset on the X Axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dan, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Guest

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to improve the quality of my Beta Model Robo3d. I just printed a rectangle and the layers are misaligned on the X-axis (left/right side of the print) pretty severely. There are fairly well aligned on the top/bottom sides of the rectangle.

In checking my belts I was pretty sure the X-axis belt was tight and the Y-axis was loose.

What am I checking for if the layers are mis-aligned on the X-axis?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The belt is the biggest suspect*.
    Toss up a picture though and we can take a closer look.

(X is left/right and y is forward/back if you are looking at it from the front or back).

*but it might be a loose drive coupler or pulley so check the entire X drive from the motor out to the carriage. A single slightly loose nut is enough.

3. Dan

Dan Guest

Yes, left/right misalignment. The belt is tight for sure. I just watched the assembly video (mine was preassembled) and my belt is at least as tight as the one in the video.

Is there a good link that visually shows what I should be inspecting/tightening?

Also, I'll post a picture shortly.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The belt drive itself.
    Most importantly the cog on the drive motor shaft that moves the belt (make sire it is tight on the shaft).
    When I got mine almost every set screw on every drive component was loose. So every cog/coupler needed to be tightened to the shaft*.

If none of those are loose and the belt is tight enough then I am not sure, the video will help.

*loctite, never loose again

5. Dan

Dan Guest

Ok, here are two photos. You can see the rear edge is almost flawless. I thought the Y-axis belt felt loose but I'm not messing with it if the Y-axis is coming out this good.

You can see the other image shows the X-axis is all over the place. The X-axis belt feels tighter than the Y belt for sure. I'll tighten up all the screws I can see.

Attached Files:

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sure looks like a loose pulley to me. Check the set screw on it.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I agree with Mike. This is absolutely a loose component in that axis drive train.
    The belt being loose is low-hanging fruit, but a loose pulley or drive gear will do the same thing.

8. Dan

Dan Guest

The gearhead for the x-axis slides back and forth on the shaft. I assume this means it is loose slightly. What size allen wrench ss that? I have one too small and one too big. lol

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ugh, good question from which I do not have the answer handy.
    Let me go see if I can figure it out...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On my bundle the small metric #5 (smallest one on the ring) fits it.

11. Dan

Dan Guest

Can't find my metric set and the game starts in 45 minutes!!! grrr....

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:(

Good game so far.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I believe it's a 1.5mm

14. Dan

Dan Guest

Well my Pats won so that fact that the smallest allen wrench I had was 2.5mm isn't bumming me as much. I'll head to Home Depot in the morning. Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to getting this locked down and fixed!

15. Dan

Dan Guest

Mark and Mike,

Thanks for all the help. I tightened the two lock nuts on the x-axis gear and from what I can see my test print is going great. I'll post a picture in a couple hours when its done and hopefully you guys can tell me if I need any more tweaking.

Thanks again!

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.