1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lead Screw Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Krish, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Krish

Krish Member

Hi all,

Been a while since I've done some printing with my Robo R1, but as I am getting back into it, my z ribbing issue is still there. As I am in Australia, I wanted to opt for a local option for the leadscrew integrated steppers (as the robo site option ended up very costly due to shipping and currency conversion). Anyway, I have bought the following from a local seller:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231850346704?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

From what I had done research on prior to the purchase, many people used an alternative to the official upgrade from an Amazon link. The specs seemed very similar (step angle, voltage, current and torque iirc) so I jumped on these local ones.

It mentions the cable that comes with it is pre-wired for ramps boards so I am wondering, with the information provided on the ebay page, what else would I need to install these and get it working right on my Robo?

At a guess:
    - I'll have to print the x carriage end stop brackets
    - Ensure the wiring is pinned correctly
    - Possibly make some changes to the firmware? I am running a very out dated v2 firmware that I modified with custom steps, a higher bed temp threshold and possibly some settings for my e3d v6 hotend.

If there is a particular set of steps or a guide for modding the firmware correctly (or if the new lead screw upgrade firmware will plug and play) please do let me know :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That thread is well detailed and regardless of where you source the parts it will guide you through it.

danzca6, Geof and Krish like this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Not sure this will be needed unless I am misunderstanding your description. Are you talking about the two endstop switches that attach to the brass nuts? If so, the ones you already have will work fine...maybe even better in my opinion. The vertical wings they put on the new style can sometimes be a cause for the X axis to stick up while going through the ABL routine.

5. Krish

Krish Member

Thanks again Mark for the links!

Well mine being the R1 with auto bed levelling model from a while back, its not a brass nut iirc its the same size but just a normal nut with this kind of endstop switch bracket

unnamed.jpg

So instead of using the new brass included in the kit that looks like this and printing a new endstop switch bracket
    s-l500.jpg

I should use the old setup?

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah..I got you now. Soy with that style nut then you would need to print a couple of these. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1147438 I did misunderstand your setup. I was thinking you were going to print the ones that come with the Robo upgrade and have the regular nuts. This should work great. About 20mm shorter leadscrews than what others have come with, but should be fine.