1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Leapfrog Style filament feed

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Kimberly Peacock, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Kimberly Peacock

Kimberly Peacock New Member

Has anyone looked at leapfrog Xeed and seen their automatic filament feeder. I was wondering if anyone has an idea for a mod like that which would make feeding filament easy and automatic?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hmm not sure what makes it different from a bowden setup

3. Kimberly Peacock

It has automatic filament detection, and will pause when filament runs out and resume when loaded. It allows you to insert filament in input where it detects, grabs on to filament and auto loads it in a very seamless and automatic fashion. It's as easy as inserting a print cartridge in a normal printer.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Gotcha. @Ziggy has been working on a feature like this. At least the filament loss detection. His also counts distance traveled.

I believe there's a limitation on the ramps/arduino pause feature that makes this difficult.

Check out this guys auto-loader: http://forum.e3d-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66#p553

Automatically changes to a fresh roll when one runs out. And cause pause if both go empty

5. Kimberly Peacock

Perfect! I will send you a donation by the end of the day. Would do it now, but waiting for funds to come in. Why is it that paypal takes you money instantly but in processing they seem to hold on to your money for days? Such is life. That is a great find Mike. The best compliment I can give you is that you are awesomely useful!

6. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Wow. That printer's insane. Hopefully I'll have the skills to build one that awesome one day.

2 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hopefully I'll have the money to build one that awesome some day :)

2 people like this.