1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lighted E3D

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by 330SC, Apr 2, 2014.

1. 330SC

330SC Member

After realizing the need to tune the process while printing the main issue I was having was the ability to actually see what was going on. This solved it. 6 X 5mm LED's and 2 X 120 ohm resistors wired into the E3D fan will do the trick

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Looks like a great mod. How do you thing the bracket/ring will hold up to being in such close proximity to the heated block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 330SC

330SC Member

so far, so good with a 6 hour print of PLA. I was going to make it bigger and angle the lights in but was too lazy to draw it

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Neat. You could share this on thingiverse as well

5. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

I am working on the wiring for a very similar mod. I bought a spool of SMD LED strip lights to put a couple strips on the inside of the top of the case, and a 60mm SMD LED ring for mounting around my E3D hotend. I should have the wiring done today, then on to working on a mount that doesn't look like garbage (a challenge for me haha). My best idea so far is to make a super simple mount that clamps on to the ring at one point then attaches to the X axis carriage. Will post once I finish up.

Super nice setup man, congrats.

6. 330SC

330SC Member

Thanks SoLong, I want to put some LED strips in mine too. Maybe blue. I thing your going to love your lighted extruder. I want to get a handle on this 3D printing ASAP and the lights are allowing me to tune and see results as soon as they happen. A small webcam may be next so I don't have to keep sticking my head in the machine

Mike, come on man, Thingverse? that's the enemy:D I would put it on Makable if they ever get it running

7. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I am looking to put some lighting directly on the print area - where the filament is coming out to better see what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Peter,
    Another idea for lights - these white LED modules are 10 for $10 including shipping if you have amazon prime.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HK0LY?ie=UTF8&seller=A3UYUTM4BYYNKB&sn=LEDJUMP®
    They connect directly to the 12v supply*. I share the 12V with my E3D fan. The string is all wired in parallel so you can cut one or more out. I have only have one attached to an extension mod of my E3D fan duct and it completely lights the print head and print area with a very bright white light. They have double-sided sticky tape on the back.
    LED Modules.jpg IMG_0896.JPG

You can take all the extra modules and blindingly light up the inside case of the Robo!

*No need to bother with Ohm's law.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Enemy or not it's got a lot of stuff on it. There's also Ultimakers YouMagine

10. SoLongSidekick

Here's a taste of what I'm working on. Customized this mount that someone made for a Printrbot to work with the R1 and E3D. Then I have two 16" RGB LED strips that will mount on the underside of the top of the case and a strip that will mount down below with the electronics (I have my R1 up on risers for Tony's modified XXL LCD Controller case so a glow will come from under the machine). Planning on controlling the strips with an Arduino Pro Mini doe automated color changes (changing to a certain color when a print finishes, etc.) and a remote for on the fly color changes. Planning on finishing the wiring this weekend. Here's a pic of the mount for the white LED ring that goes around the hotend:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. 330SC

330SC Member

you may need sunglasses with that set up :) nice job

12. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Definitely want a detailed write up on this one! I would love to know when a print is finished! Also, how in the heck do you do on the fly color changes?

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Knowing when a print is finished is really easy. Just insert the M80 G code command in your startup script and M81 in the Finish script. This will assert the RAMPS PS_ON pin low (0V) after startup and high (5V) after the print completes. You can then use this 5V logic signal to control anything you want like an LED or even an air horn!

There is a convenient Ground pin on the other side of the reset button from the PS_ON pin.
    RAMPS.jpg

I use PS_ON to control an opto-isolated relay module to shut down the printer when a print finishes. Tonycstech found this cheap $3 module on Amazon: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Channel-O...gger-5V-Arduino-Screw-Terminals-/321302844794 that works great. We just added a second power switch that shorts out the relay. Just toggle the switch on/off to turn on the Arduino which activates the relay and turns on the printer initially. After the print completes it magically completely shuts down if an LCD controller is used or just shuts down the 12V PSU if the USB port is still providing power.
    • The G-c0de startup script contains:
    M80 ;Turn on P_ON -Pin goes to GND (not really needed because this is the default)
    G4 P5000 ; wait 5 seconds for 12V supply to ramp up if USB is connected.
    • The G-code finish script contains:
    M81 ; Turn off P_ON - Pin goes to 5V

14. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If you have and LCD controller it you could use an Arduino or cheap Teensy to snoop the G code being sent and create all the crazy on the fly context driven color and sound effects you want. Add a wifi or blue tooth module to send an alert or email to your phone what layer is printing. This is not going overboard is it?

15. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Ahhhhhaahaha!!!!

This week, I tweeted that I wanted an SMS message when my print was done!

GPIO > R Pi to Twillio > My phone! You just gave me next month's hacker project!

16. SoLongSidekick

Steve nailed it. I'm using an Arduino Pro Mini and a infrared (detector) LED and my TV's remote control to change colors on the fly. I have my television remote controlling all the lights in my room, my coffee maker, pretty much everything haha. All I did was pick buttons I never use with the actual TV and record the infrared codes coming out and program them to either flip IO pins high/low or fire relays. God I love Arduino.

I'll definitely post a detailed write up once I finish.

2 people like this.
  17. reprapdiscount

reprapdiscount New Member

18. SoLongSidekick

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Can you start a thread with this info? Really good stuff here.

20. SoLongSidekick

I have a post I've been slowly working on talking about accessing the really powerful and completely under-utilized ATmega 2560 and RAMPs shield, but I have barely anything done. I'll second Mike's request Steve, post a write up about it.