1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Loosening the side screws

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WZ9V, Apr 19, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'm trying to mount an XXL controller using this case - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:393856

So far that side screw has resisted every attempt to loosen it. I'm not sure what thread locking compound or 800lb gorilla they used to tighten it but so far it will not budge. Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Picture of which screw you mean?
    When I mounted mine nothing needed removing, it was simply put it in the case and attach the knob.

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'm assuming the hole in that vertical tab on the right hand corner is supposed to be over one of the big screws that holds the top onto the base (see second picture).

LCD_Bottom_preview_featured.jpg 3_preview_featured.jpg

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ah you mean the screw in the Robo!
    Wow. So that is what the covers look like installed :) (I had forgotten)

Mine were just simple (machine) screws threaded into a nut mounted inside, no locking compound or anything...
    I forget what size even. It should not be super tight.

IIRC they are not long enough to do that -- you will have to replace it with a longer one.

5. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I didn't expect it to be a problem but that puppy is in there good. Now I'm worried that maybe it was cross threaded or something. It shouldn't be that hard to get loose. I'd just give up on it and mount it another way but ultimately I'm going to need to take that top off for something else like the dual fan upgrade or maintenance.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine were tight, took some cussing and tighten a little loosen a little back and forth to get it out if it's stuck real good grab a junker screwdriver and tap the handle with a small hammer while loosening

GAmbrosio likes this.
  7. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'll try tipping it on its side and using a bigger screwdriver to get more leverage.

8. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Went to Home Depot and got a #3 Phillips. That finally gave me the leverage to get them out. Whatever gorilla put them in originally tore up the threads in the process.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  9. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

The Robo screws for the plastic top are M6-16mm, for the XXL case you need a M6-20mm. Pickup some M6 washers also you will need one or two between the Robo and the screw mount for the XXL case.

Geof likes this.