1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved M999 code but temp readings are consistent. PLS Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adrian2627, Apr 14, 2015.

1. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

I recently bought an R1 refurbished and having problems with printing anything to be honest. First I had a leaky extruder, I decided to tighten it and to see if that fixes it and at the same time, bought an e3d v6 extruder as an upgrade. Well, after tightening, it quit leaking! so i started to line up prints. Never got finished with a print because it randomly all of a sudden wont home all axis and keeps banging up the motors. Come to fins out, the Y microswitch had a weak crimp which causes the machine to not see where it was. Fixed that issue...now lets print, BAM! another error, M999. Temps are showing both room temp and rising temp up to the presets for the extruder and head. It will print the first layer but the moment the cooling fan for pla kicks in (2nd layer) it throws the M999 error, printing stops, and extruder/bed goes to cool down mode. I replaced the head with the e3d, plugged in new thermosistor and heating element. Again, heats up fine and displays temp fine, the moment it prints the 2nd layer, it throws the code. I dont know what else to do. please help!

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Optional Troubleshooting Step: print something with the fan disabled in the software and see how it goes.

I'm assuming it will print fine. My guess is that the wiring between the board underneath and the fan is no good. Potentially shorting across to something else which would give you an error. You will want to trace the wiring from the fan back to the board and look for any damaged spots.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and be sure you reloaded the firmware after changing the thermistor type (if you are using the thermistor from E3D rather than the stock one).

@Stephen Capistron is on target that there is probably a bad connection between the RAMPS and the thermistor.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Is it min temp, max temp, or temp fall error that's getting thrown up?

Use a different software besides mattercontrol so you can watch the temp graph

5. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies and help! Here is what Ive done so far: Updated the firmware for the e3d hotend (Mike kelly posted it in one of the forums), still no go after first layer printed and cooling fan kicks on it throws the M999 code. To answer your question mike, i am using simplify3d as a slicer and looking at the communications window, there is no reasoning for the error. It simply states the whole M99m temp is reset bla bla sentence. It doesnt say for what, which makes this troubleshooting process harder IMO. Mark, i am using the thermistor that came with the e3d as mine was giving the same error so i thought it was the sensor, i guess its not. Stephen, I have not traced the wirings yet, I am using a 40mm thicker fan for PLA cooling with the stock PLA fan removed. What i did was remove the fan and it printed not problem! no errors at all. Halfway to the print, I connected the same fan again and it still kept printing but my temp went from rock solid 215 to 205 and trying to correct but slow. I am not using any insulators on the heat block and I see people with this hotend installed with no probs. To throw another variable in the mix, before I started getting the M999 error, I had the stock PLA and extra fan connected together on the same wire running/starting at the same time.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The very first temp error should say why.

What temps are you trying at?

Screenshot of your temp graph?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is getting a momentary short or open on the thermistor (and like Mike is saying the first occurrence of that error code will have a reason). Either way you are still better off doing what @Stephen Capistron suggested and ring out* the wires from the thermistor back to the RAMPS.

*measure the resistance of the wiring harness and the thermistor -- I would suggest doing this while moving the carriage around as well to make sure the wiring is solid.

8. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

There are no messages telling me what caused the error code. I scrolled through the whole communication box after the error and didn't find any but the m999. I will do it again to make 100% sure I didn't miss anything. I will also post a screenshot as requested. Thanks again

9. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

screen shots might help Mike and Mark.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can send M999 to clear the error then wait for it to pop up again. It definitely shows the original cause in there before showing the "Send M999 to reset" error

11. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

I will definitely post a screenshot once I get home

12. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

ok seems like ive found some wiring issues on the fan side that powers the PLA cooler. I wiggled the connector there and the fan intermittently shut off and back on again. Ive eliminated some connectors and soldered the fan wire straight to the fan harness. I'll do a test print and see how she responds. I'll update once everything comes out ok. Im hoping this is the problem, maybe those loose connections on the fan wiring is enough to trip the controller failsafe i dont know, im reaching here ill let yall know. thanks

13. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

still no go. the moment the external fan kicked in (the larger 40mm fan i put), the print stops and this pops up. I scrolled to the very first line of the communication box and they are all like this, no reason just the error.

Attached Files:

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I need the EXACT moment the error kicks on. That's significantly later

15. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

Is there a way to go back?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't think so. Just keep a close eye on things

17. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

ok let me try it again

18. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

this is what i got

Attached Files:

19. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

Update:
    Due to the newly discovered reason for the M999 (see screenshot above), It seems that the heat end cools to much due to the high cfm fan ive installed hence, it triggers a failsafe on the software side. My solution was to wrap the heatend with some heat resistant cloth thingy (i used those things used to wrap exhaust tubes), cut to size and held in place tight with 3 wraps of kapton tape. Everything works as it should now. Thanks mike for pointing this out to me. Thank you everyone for helping out and guiding me on where and how to troubleshoot. Hope this thread helps out others who may run into the same situation.

20. torga

torga New Member

Hey adrian2627, I was hoping you could help me out with an issue because the Y-axis issue you described in your original post is what I think is happening to me right now. The printer will start out homing in the lower left corner and once the extruder carriage gets to the right side, well it keeps going and chatters the motors/gears. Is the Y microswitch the stop trigger resting on the left side of the rails?