1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Major shift in print along the Y axis on large prints.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Josheh, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Josheh

Josheh New Member

That was one of the first things I thought of. I did make some adjustments. Can you share what settings you're using? I'd like to compare them against mine. I'm using Simplify3D, as you are. If you could export the profile and attach it?

Well, I did do a large print last night, and it mostly went fine with no layer shifts, but then my filament jammed, so I've got that going on for me. It was about 5-6 hours into it when the filament jammed. My first time!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure who you are responding to, but I doubt my Simplify process profiles would help at all since I am using very non-standard nozzle and speed configurations. You would need to change more than you would keep. Both printers have 0.8 nozzles (of wildly different types since one is a volcano and the other a special dual-bore style that @Printed Solid was looking to offer). Both have 40w cores so the temperatures are going to be off.

Geof likes this.
  3. Josheh

Josheh New Member

Pardon, the request for settings was for daniel871.

Mark, oddly enough, I knew you were rocking a volcano, haha. When I was looking up information on the forum, I saw other post from you where you mentioned that. I thought that was pretty crazy, a lot of hotend for a little robo 3d. I assume that's what you have it mounted too. That's why I said thank you early on, as I saw the amount of help you personally gave a lot of people on here.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Both of those are what I call high-volume hotend modifications :)

You can melt a lot more plastic faster. So they really just let you print faster (a lot faster in some cases) with a small amount of resolution loss.

@daniel871 can be more specific on his settings, but I would say take his suggestion and cut all travel speeds in half and see if that makes it better. If it does you have nailed it as a mechanical issue.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It really depends on the filament, but when I had a Robo I just took the default Simplify3D profile and cut all of the speed settings in half across the board for PLA (which is essentially the suggestion we keep coming back to anyway).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Josheh

Josheh New Member

So far, so good. Things seem to be printing fine, even after a 12 hour print, among other smaller prints. I did adjust the speed settings a little further, and I think I hit a good point. That along with the overhaul seems to have things going well.