1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved MatterControl + Fusion 360

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Allelujah, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Hello everyone, I am back with another question. So I drew up some designs in Fusion 360 with specific measurements right? Well when I made the design into a .STL format and ported it over to my MatterControl Tablet to take a look at the model in the 3D viewer, It shows up super tiny. Is it supposed to do that? The object should be about 4.5" tall 5.5" long and 0.5" thick.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Sometimes a design done in inches may import in millimeters, I am not sure where to change that in MatterControl, you could try their website http://www.matterhackers.com

3. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Ok so I think I figured out the problem in theory. What I had to do was in Fusion 360 I had to change the unit of measurement from Inches to Millimeters and then save the file again in .STL and then bring it over to MatterControl, and now the preview image is nice and large like it should be. Still dont know how to change it from Millimeters in MatterControl, the forums their were pretty lacking in community, unless I just couldnt see everything due to not being a member.

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

From the Matter Control Wiki:
    http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_are_my_objects_the_wrong_scale.3F
    Why are my objects the wrong scale?
    STL files do not store any information about what units their dimensions are in. MatterControl (and all other 3D printing software) expects the dimensions in STL files to be given in mm. Most CAD software, though, will export STL files with whatever units they were designed in (usually inches). Thus, when you bring your designs into MatterControl they will be the wrong scale.

The best solutions is to figure out how to get your design software to export STL files in millimeters. In SolidWorks, for instance, the Save As dialog has an Options button, that allows you to set many parameters for exporting an STL.

If you cannot get your design software to do this, though, you can still rescale the part once you have it in MatterControl. View the part in 3D View, then enter Edit mode and choose SCALE from the bar on the right. A drop down menu offers many common conversion factors, or, axis dimension specifications can be entered directly in the appropriate fields.

mark tomlinson and Allelujah like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Unless I am designing a part for retrofitting into an existing structure I never use inches anymore. All my modeling is now done in millimeters. Life is so much easier in base-10.

6. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Well the fix to my problem was a pretty simple one. Just save the file in millimeters and all is well and good again. Currently printing my part right now and it appears to be to my scaling. So when using Fusion 360 and you build in anything other than Millimeters, just remember to convert to millimeters then save to .STL. Something that I will have to make sure I do as well from now on out.

Rigmarol likes this.