1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Matterslice and RAFT settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bob L., Dec 24, 2015.

1. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

Hi (and Merry Christmas).... I have a Robo3D R1 Plus and am very happy using MatterSlice; I don't print anything complicated and tend not to experiment.
    Here's my problem though... Each time I've tried to use the RAFT, it is so difficult to remove the raft. The "Air Gap" setting is the distance between the first layer and the top of the raft. The "Expand Distance" is fine (5mm), but the recommended "Air Gap" between 0.0 and .2 doesn't seem to make a difference.
    I've tried .3 as well, and a call to Tech support suggested 0.06!!!
    Normally printing(without Raft) is perfect; the bottom layer on the bed is "beautiful" and couldn't ask for anything better!
    Am I missing something??
    So what settings will allow the raft to be peeled off easily????
    Thanks in advance for some suggestions.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck. You are not missing anything, I have yet to find any software that makes the fall easy to remove.
    The best advice is to not use one. That means (perhaps) getting your first layer tuned it so that it is sticking well.

Even so, sometimes you end up needing a little extra adhesion.

3. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

4. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

Hi Mark,
    I have no problem with my first layer and bed adhesion, but sometimes the contact area of an item (especially if the item is tall) is so small that a Raft is needed... but thanks anyway!!!

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I hear you. That is exactly what the raft is for. Sometimes you get small support pillars and the like that have to go tall and then a raft or a large brim is required. Either is a bit of a pain to remove.

Even Simplify3D (which does a superb job on supports) sort-of sucks at removing a raft.

I just don't have a perfect solution :)

6. charles irven

charles irven New Member

Hello and Happy New year to all ,, I have the same problem and was wondering if there is some way to lower the layers in the raft right now it prints 3 to 4 layers can I cut that down to one or two???