1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MC not working and now Repetier not working!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sarge5020, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Can you share a video of it running g29 so I can see why it's not touching the bed

2. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I took a video with my iPhone but this site does not support .mov files. Any suggestions how to up load it to the site?

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

4. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Here's what happens after I have manually brought the print head to the "home" position and hit the start button for a print.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it sounds like it is somehow seeing a z offset still I would check startup code or look to see if there is actually a z offset param being set.

You wont see an actual offset in the gcode for printing or at least nothing labeled that way it would be a series of commands that do that function.

I for example use teh auto leveling routine but when it begins to print it end up way too LOW so I have to add the adjustment routine to my start code after the autolevel routine runs.

The command to run the auto level is G29 and must be run after the axis are homed then I add some additional code after the G29.

G29
    G1 Z0.5 raises the nozzle to .5mm
    G92 Z0 resets Z Home to be at the nozzles current Z position

from here on the regualar printing takes place
    I use this setting to get my first layer nailed down

You may something similar going on in your Gcode that raise the nozzle too high.

6. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I loaded MatterControl onto another laptop and went through the start up procedure. Things are working but I still have the issue with the home setting. The Z is still too high. I manually get the extruder to the correct home position and start the print. The nozzle moves up and the print starts. I have to manually turn the rods to bring the nozzle down to the print bed. At least I can print things now (doing the happy dance).

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

8. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

OK. Well the happy dance did not last long. After the test print I tried another different model. No go. The extruder moved to the home position although 3 cm off the bed. When the temperatures finally got to the set points (after bouncing up and down like a yo yo for 10 minutes), the nozzle moved to the start position and stayed there even though the print time elapsed counter was counting down like it was printing.
    Mike, I'll try the firmware up date this evening (BBQ at a friends house, leaving in a few minutes). I'll let everyone know how I fair.

Cheers,
    John

9. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

OK Mike, this might sound a dumb question but how do I replace the up-dated firmware with the one you sent?

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

OK, I down loaded the arduino soft ware and opeded it. I tried to load the firmware following instructions I had download from Melody Bliss. I selected the "Arduino Mega 2560 or Arduino ADK" as suggested. Whan I tired to compile everything I get this error message:
    core.a(main.cpp.o): In function `main':
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:5: undefined reference to `setup'
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/main.cpp:15: undefined reference to `loop'

As you've no doubt guessed, I'm not really a computer software guy and need to be lead by the hand I guess.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

want me to connect to you using TeamViewer? Just start a conversation with me and send me the codes

13. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Sure, how do we hook up? Would Skype be better?

14. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Ahha, a successful print!
    I want to thank Mike for all of his patience and help. I'm sure it would have taken me a hell of a lot longer, if at all, to figure it out myself.
    Thanks again Mike.

Cheers,
    John

2 people like this.
  15. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Mike, are you out there?
    I did a little maintenance on the hot end and now that everything is back together, I cannot connect to the printer (yes, it's turned on). Should I up-date the software before trying to connect?

16. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Got it to connect but all |I can do is home the print head, nothing else will work. Grrrr.

17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Check your wire connectors. Something came loose.

18. Mr. Fishnose

Mr. Fishnose New Member

Mike,

What did you do to fix sarge5020? I am having a similar problem. I printed 4 or 5 prints OK, then it started doing that home thing and autolevel with the Z axis just going up. I do have the R1 with autolevel, and it was working fine. Without turning the unit off, it went from being OK to doing the up-only thing.

19. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

My issue is not fixed, yet. I have to trace the wires for the extruder to see if that is the problem. If not, I'll have to trace every wire in this damn thing.
    Good luck with yours.

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Mr Fishnose check to make sure the x carriage is fully seated on BOTH sides when you do the leveling to make sure the x carriage itself it level sometimes one side will seat and the rods are stiff enough to not actually allow the x carriage to fully seat you can test this by moving the carriage all the way to the right side and then lightly pressing down on the left side if it moves at all then the left side is not fully seated. Reverse this to check the right side.

AS STATED BOTH SIDES need to be fully seated THEN you can adjust for the proper levelness of the x carriage.

IF this is not done one side can seat and the other is not so depending where the carriage is it can slowly bounce up and down slightly during the autolevel this is seen as sometimes it goes up and sometime it goes down depending when the switch is activated.

When I ran into this the autolevel would adjust up on the right side and down on the left and I found I had about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap between where it was and when it was fully seated fixed that and the autolevel worked great afterward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.