1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Mechanical Testing Experiment

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Printed Solid, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I really do want to get this back on track and will ask Harry to move some of these notes over to the vapor polishing thread. But, to answer your question.

With the deep fryer, I am standing there the whole time. I turn the temp up to about 220 until the acetone boils and starts to condense on the lid. Then I turn the power off completely. Takes maybe a minute or two tops.

Also, this is potentially dangerous. I only use relatively small amounts of acetone, keep the setup outside away from sparks, and wear decent PPP. Painter's mask, solvent gloves, safety goggles.

2. polylac

polylac New Member

Most poeple are regularly on a gas station where they refill gas (true ;)).
    Some use some paint-spray, deodorant or other sprays (what comes out is usually flammable).
    So if you take care as much as you do then, it's not dangerous.

3. polylac

polylac New Member

Most poeple are regularly on a gas station where they refill gas (true ;)).
    Some use some paint-spray, deodorant or other sprays (what comes out is usually flammable).
    So if you take care as much as you do then, it's not dangerous.

4. John

John New Member

I don't have my 3D printer yet, but I can do some tests when I do. I've already got some ABS plastic, but if you want me to test anything else let me know and we'll arrange something.

I can perform rockwell hardness and some simple shear and tensile strength tests.

But again, won't be able to do any testing till my printer arrives, which won't be for a while as I'm 1013 on the list or something?

But yea, let me know if you want to go forward with tests on my end.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'd like to see some experiments done on the mechanical nature. Do you need help designing inserts for your machines? I'm curious how print orientation affects strength in varying aspects.

6. John

John New Member

The inserts are pretty easy to design, I hope to get em done over the weekend, and I've received permission from my teachers to bring the printer in, ( received my printer last week, YES!), and I'll do multiple samples, including differing orientations . I'm thinking I'll do 3 or 4 different infill samples, 20%,50%,80% and 100%. I'll also do the 50 and 100% in different orientations, and if I can get my hands on some nail polish remover I'll test the tensile strength difference between treated and non-treated ABS at both 50% and 100% infill.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This would be a great school project. I'm looking forward to hearing the results.