1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Metric Upgrade Vastly Improves Z Ribbing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

It's kind of hard to see with the terrible picture I took below (imperial left, metric right), but keep in mind that the ribs are about 2x smaller on the metric example on the right. Also if you zoom in you can really see just how consistent the metric print is by comparison.

Imperial Settings -
    - .2mm Layer Height
    - Standard Speed

Metric Settings -
    - .3mm Layer Height
    - 2x Speed
    - No Z axis stabilizers

So the metric example is printed at much lower quality but came out much better. Tonight I will be printing the same model with the same settings to get a much better visual on exactly how much my prints improved. Anyways, take a gander:
    [​IMG]

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

while you may think that is an improvement....... i believe your problem lies elsewhere.
    look at these prints..all are done on stock lead screws..no z axis stabilizers..

CIMG2837.JPG CIMG2526.JPG CIMG2583.JPG CIMG2606.JPG CIMG2687.JPG CIMG2745.JPG
    CIMG2616.JPG CIMG2823.JPG

2 people like this.
  3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

All im trying to say is .. your problem is not the z axis lead screws..

couple of causes, unlevel x axis, unlevel bed, play in the lead screw nuts (this would be my best guess because threaded rod is not meant for linear motion.. there is some play in between the nut and the threaded rod.. some more than others) you have to fix one before trying to fix another.. or you'll be chasing your tail trying to find the problem..

3 people like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I 100% agree with Cambo3D on this. There is likely something else at play. Once you get the belts/screw/drive issues cleared up and sort the mystery of the first layer height :) everything else is 'tweakage'.

5. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Very impressive print quality. I wish Robo3D could have hired Cambo3D for quality control.

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

And while you are at it SoLongsidekick, please compare apples to apples. Your above example is not the same comparison. You need to print with the same settings. It doesn't even look like the same print. Next time, keep it simple and print the same part, show the same side of part and make sure all settings are the same. That's the only way you can tell if the changes you've made have made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Just looking at the raw data collected by Tesseract in the "waviness or not" thread, roughly 4 out of 5 Robo'ers are having problems with Z artifacts.

Whatever is at play here is affecting a lot of Robo's and needs a systematic approach to solve it. Unfortunately the data collected in the "waviness" thread does not seem to be going anywhere.

2 people like this.
  8. link4044

link4044 Member

wow those prints are awesome!

9. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Cambo, how do you get the raft to print under your prints? Is it a setting or is it included in your model?
    And how did you get it to leave out the support material?

10. link4044

link4044 Member

i like to know how you get your print so... perfect

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Lots of tweaking and calibration object prints. The more you do the more you'll learn and the better your prints will get.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.