1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Micro Porous Glass Bed Install

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I purchased 2 of the Cctree 235 mm x 235 mm micro porous glass beds and one 12" x 12" Creality micro porous glass bed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6CLTD7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I chose 235 mm so that it would overhang the bed slightly, it is also sold in 210 mm. The CCtree glass beds have a peel off sticky mount, the Creality does not.

After reading much confusing and contradictory info I decided to clean with a damp rag. This did not work. I then cleaned the surfaces with alcohol. I found the both had a yellow substance that came off with the alcohol. My first prints did not adhere well, in that they would curl off. After spending awhile cleaning with alcohol until no yellow came off any more the adhesion was good. Both brands 20200112_115953.jpg 20200112_121547.jpg 20200112_124153.jpg appear to be made by the same company. The Creality had more of the yellow coating.

The spec is 50C to 70C for the bed and I find 50C to 55C works well.

It gives you a pattern on the plastic that looks good and is not gloss. I do not know how long it will last, but it gives a nice flat surface for only $12.99.

The printer runs 24/7 printing the same pieces on the same spot on the glass. The glass peeled off tonight after about 50 hours of printing on the same spot.

It seems that the hardened glass only works for so many thermal cycles. It began peeling off glass when other locations on the surface were used after just a couple of prints. I had gotten the same results with hardened glass that I used a sandblaster on.

I would call glass surfaces a dead end, now on to the flex plate system recommended by tkoco.

Attached Files:

#1 Lance Weston, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Paul Pangrazzi likes this.
  2. tkoco

tkoco Administrator
    Staff Member

Just want to add that this mod is for anyone who has not installed the FlexPlate mod sold by partsbuilt.com