1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Mid Print Layer Shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wesley01999, Jul 4, 2015.

1. wesley01999

wesley01999 New Member

I have a stock R1 and I have been trying to print a VR headset, but each time the printer has shifted. The first time the layer shifted toward the back of the printer, I restarted the print as it was early on, then 4 hours in on the restarted print it shifted toward the right (sorry, I have not learned my X & Y yet =/ ). My unit is only a week old and both prints were not bumped at the time of the shift and the prints were secured to the build platform with hairspray and are sticking just fine. What is your best guess on what the issue is, and what can I do to prevent it.

Thank You
    ~ Wes

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Loose belts or drive cogs or pinions.
    Start by tightening the belts and checking all of the drive components (all of the pinions/drive gears have set screws to hold them tight on the shaft and often they are loose).

Also check that the fan is running on the RAMPS board (the fan underneath the printer) since an over heated RAMPS can cause wierd things to happen as well.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  3. Frankn

Frankn Member

WILD SWAG! You are experiencing Momentary (less than 10 sec.) power drops. This will shift the printing area and sometimes layer index position. This is based on the same problem due to a momentary ( less than 10 sec.) power loss to my home during printing.
    It could also be a bad connection or even a problem in the power supply. Just a guess, Frank.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Might also be the object is curling up and the nozzle is catching on the curl if it's not consistent on the axis.

Make sure your part cooling fan is running after the first layer and consider adding a secondary cooling fan.