1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Modify Arduino Code for RPi 3B+?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adikted2astro, Oct 24, 2019.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Ok, I had to move my printer out of my office at school and it is now home. However, I'm having lots of problems communicating with it over wifi now. I had a spare RPi 3B+, so I installed it and it won't work at all. It will not run the display on the printer or anything. All I see when I turn it on is a red blinking light; never green.

So my question is, do I need to modify the configuration.h file on the SD card and re-flash the firmware in order to get it to work? Or, will it never work on a 3B+? I would really like to use the B+ because it's dual band wireless and I can pick up a different network, and possibly get a stronger signal. Any help would be appreciated. The B+ I have is brand new, never been used before.

Thanks,
    P. Wayne

EDIT: Sorry, I get confused. I guess the firmware really has nothing to do with this. Maybe I need an updated boot image?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Possibly. The Pi 4 will need to use a different one, but the Pi 2/3 series should all work on the same image.
    The Pi 4 will require the later version "buster" rather than "jessie" which was what the Robo image is based on.

EDIT: Actually the Pi 3+ requires "stretch" and will not run on jessie either.

Bottom line is that newer versions of the hardware require later versions of the OS image and Robo has not updated (and will not be updating) theirs. This was the main push for the community OS.

If the LCD menu remaining the same as stock is a deal-breaker for you, PM me and I can see about getting you a beta version of the Robo LCD (rewritten in java) that would work on the Community OS. It was never finalized, but it can be.

#2 mark tomlinson, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

P.S. other than the "community" version there is no version of the boot SD image that will work with later versions of the Pi (particularly the Pi 4 and I suspect the latest 3b+ is in that same boat)