1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My extruder stop heating up.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by julian chapdelaine, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian chapdelaine

julian chapdelaine New Member

Hello, I just got my ROBO 3D printer in and everything went nicely in the start but when I got to putting the PLA into the nozzle feed... the Extruder stopped heating up.

I have tried unplugging everything and plugging it all back in, looked for damage in the wires and made sore all the wires are plugged into the board.

2. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Try another software. Cura has no connectivity issues as repetier does.

I have similar problem
    I just recieved new hot end piece from robo guys and it goes up to 225 and rolls back.
    Cant print ABS. Settings are set to 250 default settings.

Ran out of PLA that came with printer so cant continue testing surfaces and troubleshooting printing issues.

Need help as well.

3. julian chapdelaine

I downloaded Cura and same thing, everything works but heating the extruder I can't see why the extruder can't heat up I don't feel that bad because everything els works so I don't think its the board but I just can't understand why the extruder is just not working is looks like the simplest item on this.

4. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Then i am more then sure that you have bad extruder or wires.
    Eazy test if you have a volt meter or some sort.
    Start cura, import any model,press Print,Press temperature button.
    Take your volt meter and test the nozzle resistor or what ever it is.
    Poke thru the yellow tape to test it at its very end.
    If u have power but no heat, green resistor is bad and need new one.
    If u have heat but very little or not hot enough to melt filament, the termistor is bad. termistor is another small thingy with white clear wires jammed into the body of the nozzle as well. You simply pull it out carefully and insert another one. They are $6 10 piece on ebay from china or something like that

10pcs New 3950 100K ohm NTC Thermistor for 3D Printer Reprap
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271262209464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

U have to ask ROBO guys to see what specs your nozzle requires.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-6-8-Ohm-3...652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af657df9c

I am not sure this is the correct one.
    3WATT for sure but how many ohms ?

5. julian chapdelaine

Okay ill try that, I feel like ROBO 3D should send me a new extruder seeing that I just got it and it never worked to start with. But ill get a volt meter from a friend and have a go at it.

Im sure my termistor is good, I can put my hand over it and see it go up in temp.

Cheers - Julian

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

They just might.
    My hot end came without PTFE tube inside. All i had all day was clog and clean, clog and clean.
    When i took it appart, i did not find any PTFE tubes so i told them about it.
    They send me 2 hot end (soldering requires to install), extra resistor, 2 extra PTFE tubes, extra thermistor.

I am one happy customer :)

3 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah don't buy anything you didn't break yourself. They'll send you everything you need to get up and running if they can't do it through troubleshooting

8. julian chapdelaine

Hey just a heads up, I have emailed ROBO 3D. Im in talks with Jerry and he is walking my through some things. Im told to look for a RED light on the arduino when I turn on my extruder with Repetier and I don't see a RED light so that might be it.

I don't know if its the arduino board or still the extruder, everything els works great all the motors work fine and when I turn the fan on a RED light turns on on the arduino.

9. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

did u get that tester to test there is voltage on the end of the nozzle as well as at the board from where wires come from ?
    There are only 2 wires, not hard to check them.
    2 for nozzle 2 for thermistor. Thicker black and red are the nozzle. See where they go into the board and test them at the connecting pins with your volt meter.
    No voltage from the board connecting pins=bad board
    Board has voltage=check those wires at the tip of the nozzle.
    No volts at the tip of the nozzle = wires problem. Test the wires. Plug one end of your volt meter at one end of the wire and another to test the wire.
    Volts at the nozzle but no heat=replace resistor. (cut the kapton tape off for easier removal. If u dont have kapton tape to replace, aluminum use air duct tape from home-depot)

10. julian chapdelaine

Yes, ill be getting my friends voltage tester soon but it's looking like ill get it in a week or so. Thank's Tony for the help!

11. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

LOL just buy one, they are $10-$20 on ebay. Find one on craigslist locally and go pick it up right now.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can also find coupons for free ones from harbor freight with purchase sometimes. That store is dangerous for me, so many screw drivers/flashlights/scissors.

2 people like this.
  14. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Looks like you and i are in the same boat.
    My nozzle stopped heating up today too..

Just like you i dont have volt meter but i bought one way before Christmas and its still shipping tome :(

In my case, i am HIGHLY suspecting bad wires at the nozzle.
    I took the nozzle out of the hub and it started to warm up. It means connection was established but not sure where. Cant really tell without the volt meter.

I can re solder 2 wires to see if it solves the problem but i am more then sure that my problem is wires.

I suggest you do one thing:
    Connect to printer with CURA (more reliable)
    Open any object and click PRINT icon.
    In the print dialog, click the button with temperature to start heating up.
    Touch the nozzle to feel the temp raising.
    If you feel nothing, move wires one way and hold them there while keeping your hand on the nozzle to feel the temp.
    Try moving wires around till you feel temp increase. If you do feel it getting hot, you have a BINGO, otherwise u need a volt meter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.