1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Need help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Starwars Jenkins, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Starwars Jenkins

Starwars Jenkins New Member

Hi, hopefully I should get a robo printer soon but I have a few questions first, a lot of people seem to have problems and a lot with the print head, is it fairly simple to replace it and does anyone know if there is any videos of it being done? Also is there anything I should know about before buying it? Any modifications I might want to make? Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's simple to replace. There's probably videos but you just remove 2 screws and it drops out. Not really necessary to replace just ensure the nozzle is tightened down before you start printing.

Not really any mods are needed. The LCD is a nice upgrade and there's some other things like an additional part cooling fan, but they're all optional and by no means required

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

The LCD is a WONDERFUL upgrade. Deletes micro SD to replace with full size SD and using that removes any chance for comms errors that some of us are having with windows.
    Best 10 bucks you can spend. Beware some sellers sell them for 60-70 bucks .. theyre nothing special. Its a standard reprap /arduino part.

Other than that.. just make sure the hexagon head is tight before you start any prints (particularly in PLA). Read the forums for the next couple days. You'll be an expert before its out of the box.

4. Starwars Jenkins

Thanks for the advice, I now feel more confident in buying one for sure, I saw a thread, it might have even been yours or you replied to it but it talked about the e3d and installing it and there was some code for something or other? Is that necessary?

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I dont think so... maybe talking about restricting or increasing heat range? Maybe they're living in the linux world and don't believe in GUIs? no idea.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You will want to increase the MAX TEMP for the hotend in the firmware (CONFIGURATION.H) but that really needs to be done even if you kept the Hexagon. It is actually only required if you want to use more advanced materials than PLA or ABS that have higher extrusion temperatures.

7. Starwars Jenkins

I watched barnacles nerdgasms video where he said he installed one, he had more fans on it and he mentioned wiring it up to the power supply, I don't fancy fiddling around with the electronics but I fancy that print head, what can you tell me about that?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The hexagon already uses an additional hot end fan.

You can reuse most of the hexagon parts but you might need to do a little bit of wiring if you want to use the 30mm fan that comes with the E3Dv6

Wire it to the points noted in this image: http://i.imgur.com/zx6cYNb.jpg

9. Starwars Jenkins

So I'm guessing its not very necessary, good good thanks or your help do yo know of any videos where it shows someone actually installing it?

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This is about the only thing I can think of. I wouldn't install it unless you're comfortable getting into it. Otherwise you can risk damaging things.

11. Simonpackman1

Simonpackman1 Member

do i need a new carriage for the E3DV6 My hexagon broke so I cant print anything right now...

12. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

No, but I did have to put a washer in there to make it fit snugly. Ymmv

13. janot928

janot928 Active Member

where ?