1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Need some help with calibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NJC, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJC

NJC New Member

2015-02-01_11-58-01_88.jpg 2015-02-05_19-50-09_743.jpg 2015-02-05_19-52-13_118.jpg Hello all, First of all I want to thank all of you for all of your help. This is my first post but I've been lurking around quite a bit in the past few weeks since I bought my Robo3d. The wealth of knowledge and help you guys give is great, Thanks! So I'm getting pretty decent prints at this point, after a lot of getting used to the settings and seasoning the nozzle and an oiler for the PLA, huge improvement. The first issue I'm having is that the prints are consistently slightly large, I'm talking about a 1" cube printing at 1.01 wide and .980 tall, might be asking too much but I think if it's consistently off, it can be consistently right on? Secondly when I'm printing a vase type vessel that the walls bell outwards, I get a huge mess, also when trying to print a calibration human head. Any ideas would be great!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Check the extrusion. Extrude 10mm and see how much is really consumed (mark the feed in and measure afterwards).
    Check the size of the extruded filament (what diameter IS it compared to your stated nozzle diameter).

You can adjust for these in the slicer settings....

3. NJC

NJC New Member

Ok, I will check both and report back. I did change the extrusion multiplier from 1.0 to .95 and then to .90, printing seemed a bit smoother but didn't seem to change the prints dimensionally.

4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the filament will bulge slightly at the perimeters depending on your nozzle width, layer height, extrusion rate, and filament expansion as it leaves the hotend. I went through the "part fitting" calibration exercise only to find it was a waste of time because after the calibration my solid infill left gaps everywhere. My prints are consistently about 0.05mm oversize on all perimeters weather I print a 10mm cube or 100mm cube. A single 0.4mm wall ends up being about 0.5mm due to the 0.05mm bulge on both sides of the wall.
    So, I cater for this in my model designs so I don't have to sand/file as much.
    But, Slic3r has introduced a setting to compensate for this by allowing you to reduce all perimeters on the x and y axis by a specified amount, say 0.05mm. The setting is available in the Slic3r experimental build. I haven't tried the new setting yet though.

3 people like this.
  5. Galaxius

Having said that you could still be slightly over extruding. Reduce your extrusion rate until solid surface infill has gaps then turn it back up until it's solid again. I use this calibration object.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39050

6. NJC

NJC New Member

My wall thickness did go from 0.5mm to 0.45 when changing from 1.0 extrusion multiplier to 0.9 which makes sense...I'll give 0.8 a try and recheck dimensions. Thanks for the help!

7. Galaxius

I've read that if you have to go below 0.9 you should adjust your e steps in the firmware until your extrusion multiplier is between 0.9 and 1.1, but it's ok to go below 0.9 for testing.

8. Galaxius

#8 Galaxius, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Re: Vase

What could be happening there is that the overhang is simply too great for the printer to accomplish. I notice radii that come up off the bed never come out right due to the initial overhang angle being so high.

2 people like this.
  10. NJC

NJC New Member

That sounds exactly what I need! I was able to get my walls on this cube to exactly .4mm when printing with the extrusion multiplier at .80, I tried .75 and it looked fine but I was able to split the walls apart when pulling on them, .80 is perfect! So, how do I change the stepper settings in the software so that the multiplier is back in the range that it should be? The horizontal and vertical dimensions are still off a little but closer than they were, I will check out the software....maybe simplify is in my future! 2015-02-06_00-39-17_631.jpg 2015-02-06_00-38-42_916.jpg

11. NJC

NJC New Member

BTW, does the Z offset affect only the starting layer height or does it affect every layer of the print?

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those are some super nice prints. It looks like you're a little low on the first layer though which would affect your overall height

Don't forget that the tolerance of a print is a function of the nozzle diameter.

13. NJC

NJC New Member

Thanks Mike!
    So the z offset affects the overall height only because you are raising the bottom layer, does not raise every layer incrementally that amount, correct?

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Correct, when you set a Z offset it only affects the first layer. After that it will behave as normal.

15. NJC

NJC New Member

Ok great, Thanks!

16. Galaxius

Those prints look awesome. What slicer are you using?
    To change the steps in the firmware you need to get the firmware for your model Robo, install the Arduino software, edit the steps in the configuration.h, then upload the firmware to the printer. You can also set your printer's actual dimensions, max temps, etc while your at it too.

17. NJC

NJC New Member

They look a lot better now after the help from you guys and this forum, I would be lost without the knowledge base here! I'm using Repetier Host with slic3r.

I did load the software when I got the printer, I'll go through it and see I can figure out the firmware changes, thanks for the help!

4 people like this.
  18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For over a year Repetier and Slic3r was my go-to set of tools. It was repeatably reliable.
    Give it the same settings and it gave you the same results. One of the best free combos IMHO.

3 people like this.
  19. Galaxius

I 100% agree and still use it regularly. I've just gone bank to S3D to see how it compares to when I used it last and I must say it's finish quality has improved a lot, though now I'm using metric rods. I think it must have issues with rounding or something when using imperial rods. They've also added more configurability which is allowing fit better prints.
    I still love Slic3r but I'll be spending a bit more time with S3D now I think.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.