1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New 40mm fan

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Mike Toole, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

I just replaced the part cooling fan on my Robo3D R1+.
    I user Matter Control to run it.

All I did was change the fan.

Now when I look at the control screen, the fan setting when on is at 9%. It used to be 100% with the OEM fan.
    Does matter control automatically adjust the fan percentage to maintain extruder temperature?

I noticed when I manually turn up the fan, the extruder temp drops quickly.

Is matter control that smart?

Thanks,

MT.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No, it doesn't make sure you have air blowing in the correct direction and then check you g-code to see if you can raise the fan speed to 100%.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The parts fan is mounted so that air from it blows on the printed part .. not the nozzle. If it blows on the nozzle then the extruder heater may no be able to keep up and temperature will drop/struggle. To fix that you need to :
    1) redirect the fan by shifting the bracket or using a different one
    2) you can also use a larger wattage heater core. Stock the hex uses 30w and the e3d 25w but you can swap in a 40w ceramic core easily. That will have no problem keeping up even with a little extra air flow

4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Thanks again guys. I will look in to all responses.
    My curiosity and for full transparency, first my thermistor failed and was replaced with another OEM. While replacing the thermistor, the wire to my fan broke off at the board and I do not have the tools to solder that small, so I replaced it with an aftermarket 40mm fan that has curved blades rather than straight for more flow. not by choice, it was cheap. :)
    The first couple runs after everything was put together , it stopped printing due to heat drop (can't remember exact terminology). after about the third or fourth run it finished the print and has done so since.
    Then I just happened to look at the fan settings in matter control and saw it was at 9% when previously it would be at 0 or 100%. So I manually changed it to 100%. The ext. temp plummeted. Fearing it would trigger an alarm like before, I changed it back to 9%

I am now printing a part and when the fan turned on it set to 9% again. Where 9% comes from I have no idea. where in the matter control do I set that? and why all of a sudden did it change? lol.
    Either way I manually set it to 100% and the temp dropped 12 degrees and it took almost 5 minutes for it to get back to set point. But no errors so that is good.. Maybe it has always dropped like that when the fan kicked on and I simply didn't notice?
    But it still boggles my mind as to where the 9% set point came about. I haven't changed anything in the matter control that I am aware of.
    Sorry to drone on, I am just confused and I am a stickler for knowing how things happen and why. it's how I'm wired. :)

Thanks for all your helps guys, you are awesome!

MT

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mike Toole likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Most slicers do have detailed fan control settings inside them, but where and how depends on the slicer itself.

While Robo used to provide MC with the printer (now they seem to promote Cura, which is an Ultimaker product) they didn't write it :)

Mike Toole likes this.