1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Guy

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Bill B., Jul 23, 2016.

1. Bill B.

Bill B. New Member

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Had my R1 plus for a week now. It had a few issues.
    When I first got it, the bed wouldnt heat up. After some research, I opened up the bottom of the printer and the black wire from the bed heater wasnt even plugged into the terminal.
    Then last night it decided to run over the z-axis, so I had to take the limit switch assymbly on the lest side apart and realign the z-axis micro switch.

Other than that I've printed some random stuff from thingiverse. I have a lot more success printing PLA than I do ABS. ABS always wants to pull up off the bed on me. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    Bill B.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Bill welcome. Abs and the robo is difficult because abs really needs a heated chamber and no cooling fans.

It drove me so nuts that i ditched abs for another material that fit my need (petg and colorfab ngen and xt)

:)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

danzca6 and Geof like this.
  4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

@Mike Kelly designed an enclosure and is selling it in conjunction with Matt from @Printed Solid that can help retain heat in the build chamber. https://printedsolid.com/products/robo-3d-safety-enclosure-kit You could always add something to get more heat in if you want. The enclosures are currently sold out and I think that might be do to them redoing the design a bit for ease of assembly. The enclosure helps with heat, noise, and those fingers that like to play with parts while printing (not just kids either). If you are set on ABS, I would recommend it. Remember you don't want the part cooling fan running like you do with PLA. ABS likes heat.

That said, I agree with @Geof and @mark tomlinson that there are a lot of other filaments today that make ABS printing not really worth the headache.

#4 danzca6, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Printed Solid and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I mostly use esun pla pro and maker geeks raptor pla. Raptor pla is very strong and would recommend it over abs
    I only use abs on small parts with Elmer's extra strength glue on the Robo3d.

Geof likes this.