1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New member in Texas

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Wild8Wire, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Just sending out a quick intro, and how do you do. Interested in printers for a couple of years, and currently awaiting my 1st, R1+.

Been watching lots of videos, and see TONS of suggested upgrades. I'll start small and work my way up!

Chuck Erwin and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You shouldn't need more than a few minor upgrades for the R1+ itself.
    It already has almost all of what you need to do really great prints.

Good luck.

3. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Thanks! Good to know. It arrives tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be a contributing member of the forum in no time.

4. Burncycle

Burncycle New Member

I'm in TX as well, and just recieved my R1+ as my first owned printer. Have been using a makerbot 2 and gigabot at my local library and decided it was time to get my own. Now just trying to get it configured properly, and make my first print :)

5. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Libraries with 3D printers... I may have gone more if my library had cool toys (not like they existed back in the day).

Good luck! The site is an awesome resource, and the R1 Plus is a good learning tool. Mine's still not perfect, but my last couple of prints were nice. My bed is slightly bowed in the center (think I can fix it with a couple of magnets), but I've managed to calibrate the extruder, manually level the bed, and print a top-mount spool holder and oiler for better feed.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is starting to happen around here as well (which is cool because we do not seem to have a local makerspace)

7. Burncycle

Burncycle New Member

Yea I live close to NASA, so the local library decided to build a small MakerSpace into the building. They mostly hold classes for things like arduino, raspberry pi, learning coding, and Lego stuff for kids. Plus they have the two makerbots, a gigabot, and a laser cutter.
    It's all free to use, given you take a 60min orientation class, but they charge 10¢ per gram of filament used.

8. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Hmmm... all of it sounds pretty cool. I'm too new to printing to know how much material we typically burn through, but I'm sure that's pretty pricey (as bad as what they charge per page on ink printers).