1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Quebec owner!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sifu, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Sifu

Sifu New Member

Hey everyone,

As I am writing this, it has been around a whole month since i received my printer. And this is my short story about it..

Way before I was trying to decide on what printer to settle, out of multiple reasons, the ones standing out were the low price for its huge print volume, its ability to print any filament, its heated bed and its really good community (hi :D). I had already decided that I would buy a Robo3D while it was still in its early founding (Patreon (?)). I have waited since then for the perfect opportunity to go ahead and buy it. This moment came when they announced the Robo3D +Plus. This upgraded version was said to fix almost all the trouble that the original printer had.

Anywho, this is when I decide to go ahead and buy the printer. Actually, before doing that I asked the company if they could do a special arrangement with me and ship through USPS/Canada Post which they agreed. I told them that I would highly prefer that over DHL (as I only had horrible experience with DHL shipping. With that in mind, I then buy the robo3D.

What is the surprise that I get a call a week later asking for 170$ for duty payments. They didn't actually read the comment I added to the purchasing bill... I was really disappointed by this. And just because of that, I will actually refrain from buying anything else from it.This mistake alone has risen the price of the printer by over 50% of its original price. When you think you are paying for 1k$ and you end up paying 1.5k$, it is just sad.

Lets carry on to the happier stuff, my printer arrived, unpack it, looks amazing. I then start test printing the 20x20x10 prism. No big surprise, it starts printing in air. I adjust the Z axis rods (as they were insanely off) and that instantly fixes it and printed the first image. I printed it on bare glass with every thing on default in matter control.

WP_20151028_08_03_06_Pro.jpg WP_20151028_08_03_17_Pro.jpg WP_20151028_08_02_53_Pro.jpg WP_20151028_11_14_09_Pro.jpg WP_20151028_11_14_32_Pro.jpg

There is a little curling that is noticeable and the measurements are a tiny bit off, nothing too bad. I am already really happy about the results.

Next, I try printing the riser feet, there was some huge curling going on at about the 4th layer.

WP_20151102_18_07_41_Pro.jpg WP_20151029_19_58_11_Pro.jpg

I also noticed that the first layer was getting a little scratched by its own movements sometimes (although I think it is getting properly squished onto the glass surface). This was still at 210/50 temperature and bare glass.

Adding a layer of glue on the glass fixed that whole curling issue and did those great feet.

WP_20151105_17_57_11_Pro.jpg WP_20151105_17_57_27_Pro.jpg WP_20151105_17_57_36_Pro.jpg WP_20151105_17_57_54_Pro.jpg

Following that, I did some test that made me conclude that my temperature was too high for the hot end and too low for the heated bed, so I changed that to 200/55 and some of the curling at later layers diseappeared which was nice to see.

Since then, I also made little owls that were almost perfect and spool holders.

WP_20151106_12_42_52_Pro.jpg WP_20151106_12_43_18_Pro.jpg WP_20151106_12_49_05_Pro.jpg WP_20151106_12_49_16_Pro.jpg WP_20151109_12_27_12_Pro.jpg WP_20151109_12_27_27_Pro.jpg

I have to admit, the results are pretty amazing for a printer that I didn't do much toying with so far.

Something I would love to change is the the software, changing to simplify3D is my priority but I just can't do it. For a reason that is unknown to me, the Z offset is just incorrect whatever I do.. Getting help to start on the would be really appreciated. Right now, when I try printing something at the same Z offset as MatterControl, it just rubs the hot end against the glass surface, extruding nothing, or if I raise the Z offset by 0.1mm, it gets too high and doesn't really stick.

If you made it that far in my short story, thanks and happy printing!

P.S. I have just started making a 20 part projetct, I'll post pictures when it will be done.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that my one of my Z rod isn't straight, when turning, it actually wobbles a little bit, is there anything I can do to fix that? Second issue I am still having, everytime the printer autolevels, when going to the opposite X end (the bed movement), it rams with a loud BANG on its end.. Is this suppose to to that?

#1 Sifu, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Welcome.
    Threaded rods that wobble are normal and harmless (they only provide lift, i.e. UP motion).

The bang is probably an issue with one of the switches that HOME the printer (X/Y/two for Z) not getting triggered properly OR something is in the way of the travel on that axis. X can sometimes get blocked by the wire loom to the printer head. I used Zipties and anchors to make sure the wires are routed so that the carriage has full travel X+/X- also sometimes the Y needs a little help that way :)

Sifu likes this.
  3. Sifu

Sifu New Member

Thanks!
    The bang actually occurs on the Y movement (the bed moving away from its home position). Its home switch works correctly and is audible when moving it manually towards it. It is almost as is it thinks that it is suppose to go farther than it actually can..
    That reassures me that the wobbling of one of the Z rod is fine.

I printed a cellphone stand (in PLA) for my brother and the supports were so hard to detach from its structure that it broke it in half. I had to glue it back together...

WP_20151114_17_54_36_Pro.jpg WP_20151114_17_54_28_Pro.jpg WP_20151114_17_54_16_Pro.jpg

I started printed in ABS and so far it isn't sticking properly to the glass with glue (It is warping pretty heavily). Should I activate the fan for ABS or not at all? Is glue enough or do I really need hairspray/ABSjuice?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, most of the free software sucks at making actually usable support material. Best available is SImplify3D (not free). Their support material generation is amazing.

Warping is what ABS does when it is hot and the temperature changes too quick as it cools. This is why printing without a heated chamber using ABS is 'difficult'. There are a lot of other materials out there now with properties superior to ABS that do not have the same limitations. If you want to stay with ABS then there are a lot of things you can 'try' and see if they help (ABS juice is certainly one, but it will not stop inter-model layer splitting).

Welcome to the adventure that is 3D printing at the moment :)
    You need to be part mechanical engineer, part electrical engineer and part materials engineer oh... and computer wizard helps.

5. Sifu

Sifu New Member

I have tried Simplify3D but have yet to have a successfull print with it, I first need to find out why it doesn't work.. I have indeed heard amazing things from Simplify3D.

Yeah I am already planning to switch to PET+ / PETG (what are the differences between those two?). I'm not gonna waste the 1kg of ABS I bought though ;), so I'll try to get the best prints I can out of it.

Thanks for the warm welcome :D!

I am in my last year of a mechanical engineer bachelor, have worked for over 6 months on a mainly electrical engineer job and have been programming since I was very young.. That might explain why I was so inclined in buying a 3D printer :).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Sifu

Sifu New Member

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sifu likes this.