1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New R1 -- Need Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Phil DiBona, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

My new Robo3D R1 just arrived today. First a couple of things...

I'm running a Mac on OSX 10.9.
    The CD was missing, so I just downloaded MatterControl from the Robo3D website link.
    The PLA sampler was also missing, but luckily I ordered a spool of PLA with the printer.

I setup the printer, followed getting started guide. I could get the printer to connect (according to MatterControl). But nothing works. I can't get temperature readings, "Home All" doesn't do anything.

At the bottom of MatterControl, it says "Trying to determine firmware version..." and just stays there.

Repetier says "Unknown firmware."

So I followed the instructions in the FAQ and reflashed the firmware (4_14 with LCD) with the Arduino IDE. It says it was compiled (after installing required Arduino libraries) and uploaded successfully.

Nothing changed. Still can't get any readings from the printer.

Any ideas, please?

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 10.21.33 PM.png

#1 Phil DiBona, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Suggestion ..... from your photo I see the extruder and bed temp. targets set at 0.0 C. Click on the 0.0 and type in 200 on the extruder. Do same for the bed, but type 60 . Let us know results.

3. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

When I hit "preheat" the target temps change to the values you mention, but the actuals always stay at 0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

Another note on the temps... Repetier says "Unknown firmware... Waiting for Temperatures"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Where it said actuals, click on it and type in numbers I gave you

6. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

You may have to start a print to do it.

7. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Also show photo here like you did before

8. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

Firstly, thanks for helping. I'll try that this evening after I return from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Your welcome. I would like to see you get started.

10. mikej997

mikej997 New Member

Phil,
    I also just recieved a printer and was missing the CD. I installed the software from the website and couldn't get it to work much as you describe. After a couple hours of frustration, I found the micro SD card and reader in the packaging and found the driver on it. I uninstalled the new driver from the website and used the one from the SD card. It started working and then asked me to update to the new version. Only thing I could figure is the update software on the PC wouldn't talk well with the old firmware on the printer. They both needed to be on the same rev. Don't know if this is your issue but maybe it'll help.
    Good luck!

Mike

11. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

I can't set the "Actuals", but I set the "Target" temps as you suggested. No apparent change.

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 6.46.48 PM.png

12. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

I tried the MatterControl software from the microSD card. It's a different version of the software, but still no luck. It says it has an upgrade, I'll try that.

13. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

It seems that the computer can connect to the printer, but can't seem to talk to it. I installed the XXL LCD and the 3_14 firmware. The LCD says "Robo3D ready" and I can control the X,Y,and Z axis values from the LCD. But the computer can't get any information from the printer.

I would think that if the computer can upload firmware and connect, it would have enough power to be able to do further communications. Any ideas?

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try a powered USB hub (plug the hub to the Mac, the printer to the hub). Some macs seem to need this due to the amount of power the Taurino board needs.

15. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

Ok -- the powered USB hub definitely helped. I can now see temps and control axes. But two issues remain...

1. It still says "Detecting target firmware..." and never seems to detect it. But that's ok for now.

more importantly... I'm trying to do my first print, and the auto-level wizard pops up. I can calibrate the Z axis in two of the three spots. But on the third spot, the software hangs with "Getting the third point." The only option is to cancel. So it won't let me print without finishing this wizard. See screenshot. Any ideas?

Thanks. Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 10.18.38 PM.png

16. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

Ok -- sorry for all the posts. So I reverted back to the version of MatterControl software that was on the microSD card that came with the printer. During auto-leveling, it said the bed is too low or I need to adjust the limits.

How do I raise the bed?

I'd rather not adjust the limits because looking at the wires on the right-side of the z-axis, they'll scrape the spinning shaft if it goes any lower.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 10.35.53 PM.png

17. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

I found the 6-10 auto-level 3 firmware on the forums. Once I both updated to that firmware -and- updated to the latest version of MatterControl, things are starting to work. I'm now 35% into printing one of the test objects in the MatterControl library.

MatterControl still can't detect my firmware version, but I can at least print! Woohoo!

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hey, you know you can upload the firmware with the Aurduino UI, don't worry about MC. If it prints you are golden.

19. drandolph

drandolph Member

Where did you find the firmware? I'm having the same problems setting up my printer.

20. Phil DiBona

Phil DiBona New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.