1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New RAMPS Board Only Works Plugged Into Computer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Red Submarine, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

After a melted power connector on my original ramps I decided to replace the whole board to be sure it wouldn't happen again. I have a RepRap LCD screen that used to work well with my last ramps board. Now with the new board, the LCD only turns on when I connect to my computer with the printer cable. The power switch has no affect on it either, when it's off the LCD stays on until I disconnect from my computer. I really liked being able to print with an SD card but if I can't use my LCD without it being plugged into my laptop it kinda defeats the point.

Can anyone tell me why they think my LCD is only turning on once I plug my computer into the ROBO? Also, oddly enough my hot end won't heat up (but my bed does), maybe the two problems are related? It was a relatively cheap RAMPS board but I'd like to rule out any other possible solutions before I go buy another (more expensive) board. Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Paladin likes this.
  3. Red Submarine

That is a great suggestion, but my new board has both D1 and D2 installed and correctly oriented according to the wiki. I'll check the signal through it later but it appears to be fine. Any other suggestions? I'm about ready to desolder the power connector from the new one and just stick it in my old board.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

My guess is you have the power/gnd wires incorrectly connected (or possibly reversed) on the X4-3 and X4-4 power screw terminals.

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/f6/RAMPS1.4schematic.png

It is also possible the MFR500 polyfuse is stuffed - but I suspect the power wiring will be the problem.

That would explain why the hotend does not heat up and the LCD/Arduino is not being powered by the 12volts. As you can see from the Ramps schematic, the hot end and D1/D2 power comes only from X4-3/X4-4

BUT please check this wiring very carefully and especially double check before reversing anything.

#4 Ziggy, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. Red Submarine

My wiring is good, nothing wrong there. I'm just going to put the power connector back into my old board. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll just chalk it up to buying cheap electronics...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Eh, my cheap kit worked. I mounted the arduino/ramps, connected them to 12v and loaded the firmware ... it thought it was a printer :)
    The quality of the cheaper parts is always a floating point number... Return/replace it if you can (and if it is worth it).

7. Red Submarine

It only cost me $6... so its fine.

I am terrible with electronics though. After rebuilding my old board there is a definite "heat-turning to burning" smell after turning it on for only 10 seconds. I'm going to do what you did Mark and just replace the whole unit. Is there any reason this kit wouldn't work?

http://www.banggood.com/RAMPS-1_4-Controller-2560-R3-Control-Board-A4988-Driver-Kit-p-938555.html

And while I have your attention, do you have any tips for uploading the firmware? I have the Arduino software and the latest firmware from the forum here. Is it any different the first time compared to just updating the firmware?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Those should work fine. I have something similar myself as a kit O'Spares.

No, there is no difference. Loading the software for the Arduino is the same regardless of it already having any loaded or not. Just run the Arduino IDE and compile/upload it. I even once loaded 'blink' (a demo program that come with the Arduino) to test the one I had in the printer at the time (which wiped out the firmware, naturally). Then later reloaded the Marlin firmware to get the printer back up and running.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. not much sadder than the smell of 'burnt' electrons. :)

10. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Old thread, but it solved my problem. I had a spare Ramps board that I used when I replaced the original one when upgrading the heated bed mosfet per thread suggestions. The spare board was working fine but my discount LCD wouldn't work unless the printer was connected via USB.

I found this thread and checked the spare board for diode D1, and found it wasn't populated. I soldered a diode in and now the LCD is working without needing to be connected via USB.

Thanks for the link to the pertinent information, Mark!

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.