1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New to 3D Printing, Starting with C2 - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Malooga, May 15, 2017.

1. Malooga

Malooga New Member

Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself and see if anybody had any useful day 1 tips for a green enthusiast looking to learn more about 3D printing. I'm as fresh as they come, looking for suggestions on preferred software with this printer as well as any tips/tricks that apply to maintaining and running the machine at its full potential. I've watched a lot of reviews and videos of the Robo C2 and it sounded like a good jumping-off point for a beginner. Thanks in advance!

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Where are these reviews? Because the only reviews I've seen are reposts of a single video posted to Youtube and websites that copy/paste Robo's on publications on the printer.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you use the on-board Pi with OctoPrint you almost do not need any software other than a web browser :)
    However you will want to use your own slicer at some point. There are a lot of free ones and I suggest trying all of them first (MaterControl, Repetier host, Cura, etc.). The best slicer we have used is Simplify3D, but it is NOT free so wait until you reach the limitations of the free ones first.

Second thing is learn to 3D CAD/Model if you do not already. You are going to really open up a world of possibilities.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a good printer considering the limitation on size -- you can still print an awful lot of stuff (in smaller parts and assemble if needed).
    The lack of a heated bed does limit you to a few less filament types, but there are still a lot that will print fine without the heated bed.

5. Malooga

Malooga New Member

I'm glad you said something. So as it turns out when you click on reviews for this on Amazon it just links you into the R1 + review forum. As you said reviews for the actual C2 are sparse, which actually set off a bit of an alarm for me. A product out for 5 months should have more than one Youtube review to its name. After researching a little more I found a printer I liked a lot more in the same range (FlashForge Creator Pro). As it turns out UPS also beat my C2 to shit, so rather then return and wait for a new C2 I returned and got a FlashForge. Haven't printed a thing and I'm already upgrading! ;)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Reviewers generally (not all, but most) expect a unit delivered to them for review.
    Robo has not done this. For this machine you could blame back orders, but honestly that is just not something they have been interested in pursuing.
    That is the one real advantage the C2 has -- there is not a lot needed to just start printing and pretty well at that.
    Otherwise the FlashForge units are not bad either. Decent machine.

7. daniel871

It's somewhat of an especially weird time to get into 3d printing because there are now an absolute ton of options out there that can be made to work.

Flashforges have historically been known to be really solid machines once you got familiar with Sailfish firmware and how to configure slicers to generate files it can use (Cura and Slic3r and other free slicers did not used to support them, not sure how things are now).

People are going to be really upset for not waiting until the end of this year when a lot of really hyped printers come out from various manufacturers.

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Flashforge creator pro is good, nothing fancy but works well. Friend had one, it was like my maker-bot replicator 2.

I wouldn't bother with dual extrusion on it, my friend actually removed one nozzle so it was out of the way.

9. daniel871

A lot of people just used the second extruder as their "spare" and changed tool callouts in G-code to use the 2nd extruder whenever they had to do maintenance on the 1st extruder (that way the printer could keep on printing things).

10. Malooga

Malooga New Member

People are going to be really upset for not waiting until the end of this year when a lot of really hyped printers come out from various manufacturers.[/QUOTE]

Don't really care much about the hype, more about the functionality. It took a solid three years to get printing PLA and ABS to become a standard, which means any printers on the cusp will have growing pains before they become viable options for a savvy shopper (with a limp wallet). After having some hands on time with the FFCP, it fits my needs perfectly. If I end up enjoying the process of 3D design, I will probably spring for a newer, high end printer.

11. daniel871

The hype from people that aren't new to hobby-level 3d printing is specifically because of the functionality.

12. Malooga

Malooga New Member

If you say so. Seems to me people who aren't hobby level don't really consider machines that are sub-$1000 in cost, as they can't really handle the volume or quality demanded of industry professionals. As I said, before I drop 10k on a machine I'm going to tinker on a $800 machine. I want one that is easy to learn and has the bare essentials, the only thing the C2 was missing was a decent sized heated platform and consumer support, both of which the FlashForge has. PLUS, most of these models under $2000 use the same generic parts for hardware (same screws, nuts, bolts, etc.) which means you are literally shelling out that extra 1k for a little extra speed and clarity. Not worth it. I'd rather make the jump from 1k-10k and get a commercial level machine....in time.

13. daniel871

LOL if you think I'm in any way defending any of the machines Robo sells.

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Although @daniel871 and I disagree many times, in this case agree with his thoughts on better printers cheaper than the C2 or R2. I wouldn't go so far as to tell you not to buy one, especially if you need it to be more jewel than tool. Where I don't agree is the, just wait because better stuff is coming, mentality. That is just life, there is always better stuff coming. You won't be printing and learning what works and what doesn't if you are always waiting for the next best thing. If you have the funds now and want to start now, buy your printer now!

15. Malooga

Malooga New Member

I actually was interested in the R2, and was about ready to commit to the extra $500, but there's just not enough feedback on the machine. Specs are promising, I like the design (not that it matters) and the connectivity solutions are awesome. It was a tough call, I was also looking at the LulzBot Mini and Prusa Mk2, but both seemed a little more technically demanding for a beginner. I may be wrong about that though, considering how simple assembling/disassembling the parts of this machine are. Seems like the real challenge is design, which I wouldn't really needs a balls-out platform to learn on, just some good software. Again, I'm pretty green, so all of this is just outside perspective. I'm always open to suggestions.

16. Malooga

Malooga New Member

Lol nah, honestly most people in the Robo forums seem to have a distaste for their machines. I was just saying for top-of-the-line printers, my wallet is too thin. I would splurge on a 2k-3k printer but I just don't see that added value there. So I'm gonna see whats up with my 3D design affinity, and then go all out on the next machine. For that, the C2 probably would have worked fine, but a combination of the missing heated platform and Henry Mc-HookHands at UPS finger fucking my package...I changed my mind. ;)

17. Malooga

Malooga New Member

I have heard this a lot. So should I remove the second extruder from the platform entirely? Or just leave it connected and don't use it?

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

As previously mentioned no feedback on the R2 since
    1. It's new and hasn't shipped to anyone yet.
    2. Robo is media averse, because they can't control the message.
    None of the other printers mentioned here are difficult to learn, they might have a slightly different curve, but they all require some learning to produce consistently good results. If you are expecting plug & play then you will be disappointed.

Consider this, if 3D printing were easy then HP, Epson, Brother and a lot of other people would be in the market.

19. Malooga

Malooga New Member

One of the reasons I was drawn to it was that it was so similar to the MakerBot Replicator model, as well as a cheaper iteration from QIDIC. I figured since there were 3 popular machines with the same base design, engineering and software support for the machine would be incredible. Honestly it was one thing missing from Robo that really bothered me, there just doesn't seem to be that much community support or interest.

20. Malooga

Malooga New Member

Nah I don't need plug & play, its nice but I'm not adverse to tinkering. I was actually waiting on the C2, the R2 looked nice but like you said, no real feedback to speak of. Just didn't want to take that extra 5-600 dollar gamble, but I have nothing against either machine.