1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New user or broken printer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Peter Lindquist, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Peter Lindquist

Peter Lindquist New Member

Greetings;

I've had my Robo 1+ for about a week. Have had some good success, and the expected dismal failures, but all that was on me and/or software issues. The printer has behaved perfectly.

Today, when I hit the "HOME" button, the table runs all the way forward on the "Y" axis, but the motor keeps grinding for perhaps five seconds, ignoring the limit switch. Then when "PRINT" is selected, table calibration begins along middle "Y" axis, proceeds to rear, then attempts to access a fourth row (more grinding noises). But the actual print itself proceeds normally and is properly centered.

Thanks for any guidance here,

Peter L
    Cobb, CA

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Peter,
    Luckily the Y is an easy one to diagnose. Please ensure your end stop switch is tightened down and has its connectors on it, then you'll want to ensure the timing pulley (on the stepper motor - this is the center most pully on the Y belt) has its set screws and they are tight.

If you have a multimeter please check the end stop switch by attaching your leads to where your wiring is connected and seeing if you have continuity correctly.

If you dont thats ok, we can troubleshoot it by moving stuff around.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Scratch all that- just recalled the R1+ factory set up. If you lift the bed and move the Y carriage towards the end stop I'd bet your ribbon cable is hitting the black acrylic plate and not actually coming in contact with the home switch. Please verify that :D. If thats whats going on loosen the phillips screw on the back of the Y carriage (there are 2 on the rear mount- its the one towards the power switch). There is a black plastic clip that holds the ribbon cable in place- after loosening the phillips screw lift up gently on that black plastic clip and tighten the phillips screw. then you should clear the black middle plate and home correctly (if thats not the issue please refer to my other message)

4. Peter Lindquist

Peter Lindquist New Member

Thanks folks. The ribbon cable appeared to be OK. I'll print and install the new clip for it asap though. I just went through everything-wiggled, tightened and lubed. That seems to have done it, as I ran 2 prints last evening and both turned out fine, with no accompanying soundtrack of a cement truck being fed thru an Insinkerator. Whew!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

When those GT2 belts skip -- you know about it :)

Geof likes this.