1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by James2477, Aug 21, 2017.

1. James2477

James2477 New Member

Does the R2 work with Viacad Pro 9 .vcp files?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No printer does. You need to convert those to STL files first.
    See my response in your other thread

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

3D printers almost universally deal with some form of GCode and to get from a 3D model to GCode that will drive the printer involves a process call "slicing". You need to slice the STL into GCode and then it is printable.
    Of course step one is getting your 3D model into STL format (and an STL file is only a 3d surface model). If you CAD software can't export it then you need something that can convert your model for you. There are some free ones out there. Try using this term in Google: "convert 3d model to stl"

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd suggest starting by learning the printer.
    Download some example STL's from thingiverse and print those, there are some sample models already on OctoPrint in the printer... print those... get familiar with that side of things and then learn the steps needed to export STL files from your CAD software (or whatever is required to convert it -- some of those links implied it could export them directly).

5. James2477

James2477 New Member

Thanks for all the feedback, its been a massive help. Strangely enough i didn't have to waste as much time on F360 as i did. One issue though, although the dimensions for the first project (a very basic vase) were clearly stated on viacad, they printed at the sub-millimeter level on the R2? Any idea what i may have overlooked?
    Thanks!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Units. You probably forgot to set them correctly. STL assumes metric and if you export the STL in SAE you will end up with a really tiny part :)

Specifically pretty much all 3d printing software assumes millimeter dimension STLs.

STL files do not include a unit definition internally, so you have to know what the scale/units are for them to be correct. Just that the assumption has been millimeters for pretty much everybody in the 3D printing world.

#7 mark tomlinson, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simplify3D is actually able to catch this normally and it will prompt you to upscale it (and if you say yes it will do it for you).
    Sadly not all slicers are this helpful.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

25.4 mm to a Inch so if that happens again your model isn't a total waste if you cant re export as the correct units (all printers I run work in MM and the shop is in SAE so it gets...silly at times lol). So if you scale into Cura and its tiny youd scale your model up by 25.4x100=2540%. Hopefully that makes sense?

Another way to do it (for example if a customer gives you a file that is in SAE and you need to convert) is to run through netfabb free edition. Its another piece of software on your desktop but can repair simple things/defects from people that dont know how to model, cut the models into sections and scale up and down. Then can export the repaired (or cut) and scaled model at a .stl.

:D

mark tomlinson likes this.