1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Ninjaflex settings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Taylor, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor

Taylor Member

So I purchased ninjaflex after seeing it on their website but my newb self forgot to check how easy it is to print on the Robo. Someone told me it's just like PLA but after reading a few post here It sure doesn't seem that way with having to make modifications to the extruder. My question is I saw people were using brass pipes to keep the ninjaflex from buckeling, is this needed with the hexagon hot ends as well? I understand I will have to mess with settings in my slicer but I do want to have to tinker with the extruder at all or have the filament cause a jam. Everything is working fine right now don't need to mess it up. (knock on wood).

Thanks for the help!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3 people like this.
  3. Taylor

Taylor Member

Thats the one I was reading, I saw that some dated back all the way back to Jan 2014,Which I didn't think the hexagon hot ends were in the Robos at the time. I saw someone had the Hexagon hot end and did the copper tube,But I didn't know if it was necessary. My biggest thing is I don't want this Ninjaflex to jam up and block the extruder. And for the copper tube im not ready to start tinkering with the extruder to place that tube in. I think im going to cancel the order,I think it would be to much of a pain right now.

Thanks Mike!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I used a plastic tube that went from above the hobbed bolt to the cold end of the extruder (with a notch for the bobbed bolt).
    Works fine as long as you :
    1) disable retraction
    2) print slow (really, really slow).

The tube stays on the spool with the filament and takes an extra 30 seconds to install when you feed up the flex.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

The hexagon won't affect how it prints. The info in that other thread is still accurate. I know that thread definitely started after the hexagon was released (I believe it started around when V6 came out which was a few months after hex) so some people in that thread might be using is.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about jamming. If you don't have the settings dialed in enough, it will buckle and you get a squiggly filament sticking out of weird places in your extruder before the hot end. Not really a big deal at all as you can just pull it out and try it again.
    I just got a shipment of their new semiflex material. It's still elastic, but much more rigid and might be easier to print on stock printer.

2 people like this.
  6. Taylor

Taylor Member

Thanks Matt! Maybe ill look at the semiflex stuff instead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.