1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

No Aux2 pins

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Clayton, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Clayton

Clayton Member

My Robo3dR1+ ramps board does not have aux2 pins or even a place to solder them in. I'm trying to add a filament sensor mod and it specifies aux 2 in the instructions. I have installed an RGB lighting mod which uses pins 4 5 and 6. Next to 6 is D11. The filament sensor mod requires a normally closed connection. I can of course modify the code to use this pin but I want to make sure there isnt something special about this pin that when shorted wouldnt fry something since it is labeled as "SERVOS" which makes me think it is sending power and if I short them then I would be in trouble. I'm pretty new to all of this so please excuse my ignorance.

jrs3d likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I know they are using a slightly custom RAMPS in the new printers, but I would *hope* that all of the same pins and ports are available. However I have not looked at one to see exactly what changes there are (the photos I have seen there are some differences).

The differences are physical ones, not electrical ones so a standard RAMPS would still work and if the ports are still present they will as well. It looked like to me they are using one that does not have some of the 'unused' ports/pins exposed (saves space and probably construction costs in bulk).

3. Clayton

Clayton Member

Any idea about D11 (same on normal RAMPS and on mine. SERVOS) if I can use that instead? I'll attach a pic of my board if needed. I'm at work for the day so can't right now.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have no clue what D11 is on the new/custom boards so a picture would help.
    Here is a connection pic for a normal RAMPS:

ramps1-4connectors.png

Also here is a schematic if that helps:

RAMPS1_4schematic.png

Lastly a picture of a normal RAMPS 1.4 (most actually do have pins on the AUX connectors):

RAMPS_top.jpg

5. Clayton

Clayton Member

I am currently using D4-5 and 6 for the RGB lighting mod and it was done assuming there was no difference from a stock RAMPS 1.4 and it is working. So, from the schematic you posted (thank you) I'm assuming D11 is a signal pin that I can either make high or low. If so then I think I can use it. I just don't want to blow anything up by doing something stupid... Like the first time I test the "out of filament" switch it goes up in smoke.
    I'm also working on a thickness mod that would use the same pin so if the thickness is too thick to make it through the bowden tube it would activate the out of filament thing (pause).

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds fine.

On my DLP I built we use the D4 (servo) connection for a ... servo... to control a cover for the projector lamp.
    We were originally going to use something else (besides Marlin) but the native Marlin support for servos was why we went that way.
    We can just issue the GCode to open the servo in the startup and then close it in the finish set.

7. Clayton

Clayton Member

Thats cool. Well, if I blow it up you'll know why cuz I'm gonna give it a try as soon as my Abonimable snowman finishes printing.

8. Clayton

Clayton Member

Things went great with the mod. All is working now. Thanks for the help!

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you end up buying a replacement ramps?

10. Clayton

Clayton Member

Nope. Just changed the code to reference D11 instead of what was specified and all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Clayton

Clayton Member

Sure. Ziggy is the man! Filament Monitor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk