1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Noob ABS question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MOwens5150, Mar 8, 2015.

1. MOwens5150

MOwens5150 New Member

Hi all, just got my printer and PLA works fine with glue stick, but ABS not so well. This is the newer R! were the heated bed looks like held in place with magnets. Should I go to hair spray or mess with bed temps?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is going to take some experimentation.
    blue tape and glue stick might get you going.

If you get the start first level set right you can print on the glass directly, but it is usually easier to start on something like the tape/glue/hairp spray/whatever. Since it is ABS play around with the heated bed temperatures as well -- it may want a little hotter. Without modification to the firmware I think 80 or 85 is the max.

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

4. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

For ABS, I run my bed at 100 for the first four layers, and then drop to 90 for the remaining. I use glue stick on the glass with both PLA and ABS.

5. MOwens5150

MOwens5150 New Member

Thanks all. I decided to try doubling the amount of glue stick then left it on stock temps of 235 extruder and 80 bed. It seems to be working now. When I tried changing temps higher than that the heat shut off after reaching temp.

6. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I have not had good luck with glue stick and abs, Aquanet seems to do the trick, and I never go over 80 for the bed else it gets all gooey and can lift off.

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

if you let it cool, it walks off the bed on its own. That goes for about anything stuck well in hairnet.

If I'm in a hurry I just toss down some alcohol and it sucks the heat out of the bed rapidamente.

8. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Be careful about putting alcohol on hot glass, I've seen it shatter doing this.

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

if it was cold. or.. well yea.. it could. But not likely that glass.