1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved noxxle size and print speed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by eric tobin, Sep 13, 2017.

1. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

is there a chart showing print speeds for different size nozzles and filaments? also what setting for layer height etc?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are a few common practices, but I have never seen any hard and fast rules. for example;

1. Layer height should be between 25% - 75% if nozzle size. (0.4 mm nozzle, ideal layer heights 0.1 mm to 0.3 mm)
    2. Speed drops proportionally based on nozzle size. Smaller nozzles require a bit more time to extrude than larger models.
    3. Speed drops proportionally based on layer height. Smaller layer heights require a bit more time to extrude than larger layers.
    4. Larger nozzles require more heat to extrude smoothly so either temps go up or time extends to extrude.
    5. To solve stringing increase hotend temps, except for PETG stringing suggests lowering hotend temperature.

Those are ones I remember, they may or may not be true and all are based on anecdotal evidence using a very small sample size (sometimes just a single person). So each one should be taken with a grain of salt and there will always be exceptions. The problem with rules based on anecdotal evidence is that sometimes the rules are contradictory. Every time you hear someone anywhere, including people on this board, myself included, that say 'the rule is....', they are lying. It is likely unintentional but test your own setup and make your own rules. All these are guidelines, suggestions, based on what may have worked in the past for ourselves or others.

Maybe that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it should point you in a direction where you can at least base your own conclusions on.