1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

OctoPi w/ Static IP on wifi?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KTMDirtFace, Apr 15, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I havn't been able to figure out how to get octoprint to have a static IP on wifi.

I tried this in the network.txt file ( Yes netmask and gateway correspond to my router )

Code:
    ## WPA/WPA2 secured
    iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.125
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        wpa-ssid "******"
        wpa-psk "******"

It actually worked ONCE, but when I reboot it it was back to getting a Dynamic address when I looked at my routers connected devices.

I tried a couple other things I found online for regular raspberry pi with no luck.

Any ideas?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

3. KTMDirtFace

Yea I tried that too, previously. didn't work kept giving me a dhcp address.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Maybe the octowhatever-network.txt was fighting with those settings I put?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

network.txt, should only apply during initial setup. Linux doesn't care about that file or even know that it exists. It uses the file I listed.

5. KTMDirtFace

Like I said though I modded the file you listed following this guide http://www.modmypi.com/blog/tutorial-how-to-give-your-raspberry-pi-a-static-ip-address

But it didn't work. the one time I got it working was putting the info in octopi-networik.txt but it only worked once.

I'll keep messing around with it.

As it is for now I just changed the color of the octipi interface for one of my PI's and have to look in my router to find the IP and type it in if its Orange its my modded out robo.. if its default its my new robo lol. Works alright but i get tired of having to type my logins in.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I don't use the OctoPi images. In my opinion he has made some less than intelligent choices with software and the touch interface he has chosen sucks. It is far easier and less bloated if you just build the environment yourself using OctoPrint rather than OctoPi. and I have had no problems with this setup for months using Debian Jessie. I run it headless, so no need for a GUI or touchscreen. SSH into it for all work that needs to be done. Web into OctoPrint, it just works and works reliably using a static IP.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

8. KTMDirtFace

Cool thanks i'll check that out.

Yea I have never plugged mine into a monitor I just Putty into both of them. Or log into octo print interface in my web browser. I like them better than my LCD controller.

9. sanjok raja

sanjok raja New Member

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is usually your router or whatever device is connecting you to the external internet (or the next subnet up).