1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved OK I HAVE BOUGHT 3 ramps 1.4 board on amazon NOTHINGS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mclemens7, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

I have bought 3 ramps 1.4 boards on amazon and I'm getting the same fricken result all the TIME! IT WORKS BEFORE I plug everything in and then once everything IS PLUGGED IN NOTHING LIGHTS UP. SOMONE EXPLAIN WHAT IS GOING ON. Nothing works, IS IT THE ARDUINO is it the brand new components in using?? what is It. oh and every time I turn it on the bottom of the Arduino gets piping hot! I just want a remedy and an explanation.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, you can buy them from Robo if you think you have bad parts.
    It is possible that the Arduino is hosed at this point, but if you take only the arduino (no ramps) and connect to it with the compiler and load over the blink sketch (one of the standard examples) and that works -- it is probably not the arduino.

If you are in need of a more immediate, hand-on type of assistance you should call Robo and speak with their tier-2 technicians (you have to ask for them and schedule a session).

If you are willing to work with us other owners to help sort you out then ...

As mentioned before I prefer the all-in-one kits since those have all of the parts you might ever need in one kit. We can't magically tell you anything new. The last time this happened to be it was a batch of BAD RAMPS boards (three out of four). Rather than buying a bunch of individual components you should just consider the kit and replace everything with new bits and then you are not trying to figure out what is bad. Could you still get a bad board? Yea, but I think it is less likely AND you will have a new Arduino (and stepper drivers) too. If the boards you have ARE bad you can send them back for a refund (same with the all-in-one kits, but those have always worked for me).

You can also find a local makerspace and there will almost certainly be someone around that can give you a hand.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It can be a bit off-putting to be forced to dig into the mechanical and electrical and software bits to do this troubleshooting. We get that and have pretty much all been there.

4. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

so you think out of all of the boards i bought "3" that they are all bad boards

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I KNOW you have bad electronics -- that is a given. What I do not KNOW is which one(s) that is/are.

:)

Since you ONLY have RAMPS replacements we don't know if the Arduino is bad. I am not sure if you had the stepper drivers installed or not when you were putting the RAMPS back on and getting the overheating.

So, with the limited amount of knowledge I have all I can do is relate you back to the last time this happened to me (and I already have discussed that). My use case may not be your case.

In reality you could have a bad arduino, you could have (more) bad RAMPS or you could have some bad stepper drivers (or some combination of the lot).

My suggestion now (as before) if you want to pursue this is to buy the all-in-one kit. That gives you all (everything!) electronic under the printer. Simply rebuild the entire thing from the new parts, load the firmware and go.

Then (not waiting on a working printer) you can experiment with the parts you removed if you want to figure out which ones are bad. No stress then since the printer is all working again. Finally once you know what is good and what is bad THEN buy more spares :) I like having a spare of everything. My down time is usually short.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Be certain when you are assembling the Arduino/RAMPS that all of the pins are lined up correctly. It is easy to have some that do not and that will NEVER work. Many of the cheaper RAMPS boards have slightly bent pins and that makes it a beast to get it assembled right (i.e. no pins out of place)

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Reminder that nobody posting on these forums without "Team Robo3D" in their profile is an actual employee of the company and you should really be contacting them for any actual issues with the printer that aren't slicer settings.

Also, yes, if you're buying cheap chinese boards you can expect more failures than not. The only vendor where I'd expect a reasonable guarantee of a functional board is somewhere like Makerfarm.

If I wasn't buying directly from Robo for the Robo printer that I'm posting on a Robo forum about.

DonW and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

LOL, that is some twisty-turning logic, but I agree.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Make sure your stepper drivers are plugged in the correct orientation, most are not documented well and you can't rely on the location of the adjustment pot to know if you installed them right side up or upside down.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I *think* (but am not certain) that he was having this issue without them even installed, but ... need more input. :)

Need input.jpg

11. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

Do you want me to send you links to the boards i bought?

12. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

ok, everything is plugged in, I mean everything but every time I've rebuilt it I have made sure that everything is plugged in the correct spot with the correct orientation.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The bottom line here is that your new RAMPS boards you have MAY be OK... we can't tell and really, neither can you. Since you are getting essentially the same problem from all of these it is less likely it is a RAMPS issue. Maybe stepper drivers? (we do not know if you swapped those) Maybe Arduino? (we know you didn't swap that). It is extremely difficult to isolate the problem this way and while the most common faults are with the stepper drivers or RAMPS it is not unheard of for the Arduino to be the issue.

My Point (if I can make it again) is that the rash of bad ones I had bought (ME, myself, not yours) were all loose, individual boards from the cheapest Prime sellers. I will not do that again.

All of my previous spares were from the all-in-one kits and never an issue with those.

At this point you need to replace the Arduino at a minimum and see where you stand.

14. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

I have put in brand new out of the package stepper drivers. maybe its an arduino issue i will try switching them out

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Frankly you should start with a new Arduino and then mount a new RAMPS (without stepper drivers) to make sure that alone is a working combination (i.e. the Arduinio does not get hot). Then start adding other bits. One step at a time.

16. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

so you think if the arduino is getting hot, the arduino is falty even though it lights up without the ramps?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't say.
    I can say that when mine did that it was a bad RAMPS :) (I am repeating myself)
    Yours may be a bad arduino. This is not a cut-and-dried thing "if the arduino gets hot it is the RAMPS"

Troubleshooting the electronics can be a fairly precise thing, but not via second or third hand. Only way I sorted mine was that I HAD 4 spare RAMPS boards and could quickly swap them (I also had 3 arduinos, but that was the first thing I swapped and it was not the source of my troubles).

Mine session went something like*:
    Hmm arduino getting hot
    Replace it...
    Hmmm arduino STILL getting hot.
    Swap RAMPS
    (repeat that last step 3 times)
    Working...
    In none of these cases did I even have the stepper drivers installed...

It was pretty frustrating and I had a hard time swallowing that they were all bad, but I tried with other Arduino boards later and confirmed that and returned them.

*there were some curse words involved in this process -- will spare you that detail

#17 mark tomlinson, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  18. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

what is the most reliable company or the company you have had the most success with?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Then stop plugging everything straight away. Disconnect everything, check it works, then add things one at a time checking everytime for abnormal heat etc. When you get to the one thing that causes it you know where to look next...
    Basic troubleshooting.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.