1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer One step forward, two steps back... ;-(

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jack, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Jack

Jack New Member

I have the R1 purchased back in Oct of 2014.
    I printed a life sized anatomical heart perfectly so I know the "sucker" :) works well, but something has changed since I put it up the past year.
    I had a slip of paper shipped with my printer for config purposes, but no telling where it has disappeared to...

I spent 8 hours systematically working through various start gcode setups.
    I was able to stop "throwing them nuts" :), and then was trying to get the nozzle to lowing on the first layer.
    After initial "homing", it would raise about 5mm and then initiate the first layer print sequence which of course is too high for a base layer. The model then spiders, loops and self destructs. But it is going through the print sequence.

I tried several M565 variants starting with: M565 -1.5 in the start gcode with threw the nut to --0.60 which didn't toss the nuts, but still the after bed/nozzle heatup, the nozzle would still raise up about 5mm immediately prior to the first layer.

I tried three different print programs MatterControl, Cura, Slic3r and I get the same results.
    I then tried a different model... same results.

I stopped for the day when I attempted my last "do-over" , tossed the nuts and now I cant get the nozzle to lower because I trip the lower limit switches. I can raise the Z axis 100mm, but not lower them. I've readjusted but switches on the rods. When I lift the carriage off the switches it will lower, put pressure on the switches notta.
    I have the original robo disk shipped with the unit so I can load any software from it and delete any new updates if needed.
    This is not meant to be a "rant" only meant to be thorough...
    As I said...I've changed something somewhere...I'm just not smart enough to see it.:confused::confused::confused:
    Any thoughts appreciated... It will be a few days before I can get back to work in depth as I have to work over Christmas Holidays. As for the rest of you... Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

From the description I would say that during the initial auto-level sequence one of the Z axis microswitches was not working properly. It will throw off one side of the bed so badly that it could literally think that the 5 mm higher position is where level should be. If all switches engage properly during homing and especially the Z switches work properly during auto-level then I highly doubt that you Z Offset (M565) needs to be in any reality over 1.0 mm.

If you have your printer connected directly to a PC or Mac and can get to the Printer Host Software terminal screen issue the following commands:
    Code:
    G28
    G1 Z10
    M119
    The M119 command will report back the actual status of the endstop microswitches and it will be easier to tell if one is out of whack.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I heartily agree. This is almost always a mispositioned Z home switch.
    Like @WheresWaldo suggested. Home it and check the switch positions and then move it somewhere not home on each axis and check. One of those puppies is not behaving.

4. Jack

Jack New Member

WIll try next weekend when I have some free time. Unfortunately. must work most of this week...
    If it turns out to be the switch/switches can they be ordered from ROBO? Thanks.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The switches are probably not broken, just moved or knocked out of position.
    While it is possible that a wire to one is broken off, the switches are pretty tough :)

It is much more usual for them to simply get moved down or knocked sideways. They don't work correctly if they are mispositioned.

6. Jack

Jack New Member

I added the command as you suggested after I reset everything level to the bed and raised the carriage about 1mm. When I issued the g28 command, the bed went to the home position, and the nuts wrapped as before.
    I copied the printout and it is attached below... Thanks. Jack I work again this week night shift. but perhaps you can look and see the code in your spare time. Happy New Year ALL!

Attached Files:

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay, something is wrong with the switches, X and Y not Z. They should not be triggered after a G28 with no parameters. If the command is working correctly it should move X to 0 then Y to 0 then the head to about the middle of the build plate to move Z down to 0, then you are moving Z up to 10. As soon as the head moves toward the middle, your test should not show X and Y TRIGGERED! Are the wires plugged into each switch on the outside two connectors, Common and N.O.? The switches are on the X carriage and under the bed. The Z switches appear to be working properly.

8. Jack

Jack New Member

I assume you are referring to the small cable attached to the center of the bed? It is attached and no breaks. It goes to a connection and is also well connected with no breaks.
    If there are other switches I didn't see them.
    Quick question: Is there somewhere I can ship my unit too for a quick "over-haul"/checkup?
    Such a venture might save much time and for a few shipping dollars and troubleshooting cash to a reputable moderator....

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Y switch is under the glass, X switch is on the X Carriage.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Someone would be glad to help you. My concern would be the shipping. It really can be harsh on the printers. Be a shame to have it working then get munched during shipping.

If you have someone close enough to bring it to that is a better solution. I have done that a couple of times and if you are in Florida, ping me :)

Frankly you can bring it by from anywhere, but you might be better off finding someone close.

Jack likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a local makerspace or 3d printing group you can probably get some help from therm.

12. Jack

Jack New Member

Anyone know of a 3d printer group or makerspace near Augusta, GA? One dedicated to ROBO3D machines would be given preferential treatment for my questions... LOL.
    Happy New Year!

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Jack likes this.