1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Only prints on half the bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by HoboBanana, Dec 22, 2016.

1. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

Hi,

So my R1+ has been rock solid until now. I just started a new roll of Hatchbox filament and now it will only feed when the head is on the right half of the bed.
    20161222_194011.jpg
    When the head crosses the halfway point the filament just stops feeding. When it comes back across it starts back up. The only thing I changed is a new roll of filament. Any ideas?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like you need to conduct a paper leveling to get the x level with the bed.

Rigmarol and Ravitch like this.
  3. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

Geof,

Would you mind sharing how to paper level the X on a Robo 3D R1 Plus? I've searched and can't find anything on the R1 plus, and I have the same issue. Actually my bed is all sorts of jacked up as far as auto level is concerned, I can get a perfect no bubble no defect first layer on the left half of the bed, but not the right. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sure thing...

To do a paper level you need to lower your z until the nozzle is a paper height off the bed. Use a sheet of paper and lower until you feel slight drag. Power down printer. Then you want to slide the nozzle to the other side of the bed check to see if it feels the same. If no...hold the other thread rod and turn the threaded on the bad side until it feels the same. Then recheck the original side... you will repeat this process until both sides feel the same. Then check acroas the rest of the bed (middle and back) to see how the bed compares.

Rigmarol likes this.
  5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

When I do mine, I push the bed all the way back and do the adjustment far left, middle, far right, repeat until all are the same. THEN I pull the bed all the way forward and do it again. If it was significantly different, I go back and start over with the bed pushed all the way back again.

First time took me a while. Since then when I've felt a need to do it it was far less adjusting until now, I seem to no longer need the paper adjustment. Others may have a different experience but it took me a few paper method adjustments to finally get my z perfect.

6. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

So I think i figured out why it stops printing but not sure how to fix it. I was watching the 9 point auto level that it does before every print that goes like this
    Back
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    Front
    So on mine these two
    . . .
    . x x
    . . .
    The z axis goes up instead of down to the bed. What could be causing that?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your z keeps going up you most likely have a limit switch out of position

8. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

That's these switches right? 20161224_084323.jpg How do I adjust the position?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you share a pic of the other one

10. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

Sure, here you go
    20161224_085247.jpg

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Those both look placed correctly so either a switch may be bad or possibly the wiring is loose.

So when its doing the autolevel instead of coming down and probing the bed it rises up and up then moves to the next spot right ?

12. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

Yup. It goes down hits the bed goes up and on to the next one. Except for those two points they go up a bit then on to the next one where it goes up again then back to normal.

13. Rigmarol

I have a year old (almost) r1+ that has this same issue now and again. Until I replace my switches I am just jiggling the whole carriage up and down a few times and restarting the auto level again. When it starts to fail more often I will then replace the switches.

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would guess a sticking switch but you can do a paper leveling to make sure your x and y are level and also check the magnets for the bed on that spot to be seated correctly

15. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

So I took the switches off and unplugged them. I then put them back and plugged them back in. Now for reason I don't understand it works. Thanks for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

my guess would be you have a switch that is failing (i'd suggest ordering a few)

mark tomlinson and Rigmarol like this.
  17. Rigmarol

Agreed @Geog

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

18. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member

I will definitely do that. The printer is less than a year old so I should be able to get Robo3D to replace them right?

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  20. HoboBanana

HoboBanana New Member