1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Only some bits work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 58webbing, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

Fingers crossed. As I mentioned earlier I am out this weekend so it might be a day or so before I get a chance to try things.

2. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

I installed the firmware you linked which appeared the same as that already installed and the only difference was that the Z axis now zeros correctly. Still nothing works apart from the zeroing functions. I installed everything on a 3rd PC with a freshly loaded Windows XP SP3 and the result was the same. I changed the Arduino mega board for a new one and after loading the firmware again it made no difference. I have checked the wiring on the board and all other possible variables and can find nothing wrong.
    Why can only part of the software work and not the rest?

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What temperatures are being reported? The firmware I sent you isn't the same though I didn't bother changing the name. It has a call that's different from the 6_10 you were running before.

4. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

All temperature readings are zero

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Would you mind if I connect using TeamViewer? Start a conversation with me with the codes if you're ok with that.

Also do you have a multimeter? That would help some troubleshooting.

Furthermore, there's a plug near the extruder, make sure everything is solidly plugged in.

6. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

A few of the crimped connectors were loose and crimped incorrectly so I have soldered the wires to eliminate further problems. The voltages at the board inputs are 12v as they should be.
    The printer is not connected at present as I have put it away while waiting for a new RAMPS board and a RepRap 12864 smart controller to be delivered to see how I get on with that.
    There is no problem with my PC's as they drive my Laser, Wanhao printer and CNC routers perfectly. The Arduino hardware is OK as swapping them changed nothing. When testing the heaters and thermistors off the printer they all worked OK and the connections are now in order. I am beginning to think the MatterControl software is giving the problem, the software provided on the CD crashes as soon as it is turned on, whereas the same software downloaded from RoBo3D lasts a bit longer, even though it doesn't control the printer.
    I am not keen on downloading TeamViewer as I try to avoid Internet connections on my PC's which run my CNC applications.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's fine, some users just prefer for me to hop on and take a look. Saves some time usually.

If you can measure the resistance across the thermistors we can determine if it's a electrical or software issue.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One of the best things you can do is toss that software.

9. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

The bed thermistor reads 114.8k and the extruder reads 114.4k.
    If I am correct the mattercontrol software does not export g code for use with a card reader and my replicator g software is something I want to move away from for use with the RoBo3D, what software would you suggest?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start with the other free ones (Repetier host would be good). You may eventually outgrow that as well.

The thermistor values sound about right (both reading near ambient temperature).

At least you can say for certain that the driver is working and the computer is talking to the printer.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Seems like a software issue then. Try Repetier-Host, especially now that it has the Cura slicing engine.

12. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

There has been a positive development. After checking the thermistor values I wiggled the wires while again taking the readings and found an intermittent break in the extruder wires (hidden under the heat shrink tubing where the red and black wires join the grey wires) now this has been fixed I can read the temperature and switch on the heaters. I still cannot move the XYZ with the movement buttons.
    What would you suggest next?

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ignore manual controls and try starting a calibration cube print.

14. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

Thank you so far for all your help and advice. Now that some headway has been made things dont seem so hopeless.
    I had a spare extruder with the printer and thought I would try that now that the temp controls are working. The wires coming out of the element started glowing red with flames coming off the insulation, after switching off I found the resistance of the element to be only 0.4 Ohm! This bit of excitement has fried the P55NFV06 Mosfet and it now wont switch off so a replacement is on order and it will be a while before I can try printing a calibration cube.
    Meanwhile I will check out Repetier-Host

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The heater cores that drive the extrduer are standard (40w) and cheap. @Printed Solid might have some if you need. The mosfet can be replaced pretty cheap too.

16. 58webbing

58webbing New Member

This is to let you know that after swapping the RAMPS board everything works as it should do. I guess it was an intermittent fault, usually the most fun to sort out. I have run both MatterControl and Repetier and they both are responding to inputs as is my full graphic Smart Controller. The MatterConrol does seem to play up quite a bit though.
    Now that I have found out how to get the printer to work I now have to figure out how to use it. Initial results are not too good compared to my Wanhao, there is machine flex and play on the linear bearings that dont help. The extruder (new one) leaks a lot from everywhere which isnt good.
    Thank you for your help sorting things out.

2 people like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a thread that talks about replacing the linear bearings (search for that term, you'll find it). I did and the new ones are much better.
    There have been several people with issues on the new hexagons leaking, I strongly suggest an E3D. Mine has been hassle free and it does not have the same sort of assembly.

MatterControl is not your friend. Upgrade to something more robust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.