1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Open source file problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Perry Southerland, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Perry Southerland

Perry Southerland New Member

Ok Ive just had my printer a few days now and ive finally got it set up where im pretty happy with it. Ive printed some of the preloaded files and afew things that i have downloaded from thingiverse.com. Ive noticed when i try to print alot of the files from there, a message will come up saying that an error has occured with matter control and it will shut down the program. I was wondering why this is or what to do about it? Thanks in advance.

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

there are a lot... A LOT of crappy models out there with conflicting geometry.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

And MatterControl is still not a polished, finished product.

(crappy model should not make your software explode)

2 people like this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I suggest running all models through netfabb's repair tool before trying to print for starters.

Then I'd consider moving away from MatterControl.

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yea.. but hey.. S3D gets confounded by perfectly good models sometimes.. and that costs that of a polished product.

"searching for overhangs". i think that means, after more than a few seconds anyway. "searching to hang".

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have yet to get to S3D fail on a good model, but I have gotten it to fail on models that others (I am looking at you Repetier host) claimed were good (but that had manifold failures).

The one time I was convinced I had a good model it was bitching about I was proven (embarrassingly) incorrect :)

Not saying it can't happen, but thousands of models later I have not had that one drop me on a model that was not truly bjorked.

You can run its own built in repair tools before a print as well... not sure exactly how they comapre to netfabb.