1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Out of the box printer doesn't work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ken Sierk, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Can't get a response from tech support. Hopefully someone else has had this problem and can offer a fix.
    I followed instructions for assembly and software download but the control software does not see the printer after I go through the driver download. Is see a dos window during driver download and assume it has downloaded but when I look for the driver, I don't see one listed that seems to match the printer. What would the name be for that driver?
    Assuming it's not a driver issue, What else can I do to resolve this problem? I checked all the connections and everything seems to be tight. The printer powers up and looks good sitting there but it's a little pricey for a centerpiece ha,ha.
    My friend thinks the firmware was not installed before shipment. Could that happen?
    One more thing, the instructions say to select "R1" driver which I did but I have a heated bed ABS model I also tried "R1 with heated bed" option but it didn't work either. Which is correct for my model printer?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you see an unknown device or anything listed under the LPT/Com in Device Manager?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure you email them, they will (eventually) (probably) get back to you. Be persistent and patient

Sadly, anything is possible, but even if so you can download and reinstall the firmware if you can get the driver to load.

Worst case, what sometimes works, is to download the Arduino GUI (compiler) and install that. It includes an Arduino driver* that will generally let you talk to the printer.

*FYI: the brains of this printer is an Arduino board with a RAMPS 1.4 daughter board on it for controlling the printer, Your USB cable talks to the Ardiuno/RAMPS combination.

4. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Wow, I didn't expect such a quick response from you guys. Thanks
    I'll look at that when I get home from work.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't actually work for them

6. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Thanks Mark, I did find the firmware (I think). it was dated Feb of 2014 and the latest I found. I assume it is updated for the R1 version but can't swear to it. I'm going to work my way through the possibilities starting at simple before I go as far as the Arduino GUI route but that for the info.

I found an earlier post from someone who lost connection and saw a good list of checks so I'll try those out and see what happens and go from there.

7. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

You should market your services to them. I know they are scrambling with a start-up (been there) but I appears they need someone like you and Mark in the trenches. I only have a recent experience but tech support seems to be lagging.
    I do appreciate your help!

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I help those troubleshoot who can't troubleshoot themselves :)

I'm the first line of defense to help team robo focus on the big issues and not have to deal with all the small problems.

They'll get there eventually, but it's a small startup, they can only do so much.

9. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Anyway, home now and is see the problem. I see the Arduino mega 2560 and ran "troubleshoot" on it. There is no driver installed. I can only assume the driver was not downloaded to the thumb drive with the Matter Control software. I looked at the downloads offered on this site but no drivers. Any suggestions?

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Mike has a link to the driver he can post for you (or as I said you can download the Arduino GUI and install that you do not need to USE it, it just bundles an Arduino driver).

Mike will hook you up.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

12. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Thanks for the help gentlemen!

13. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Mark/Mike...Thanks for your help. Problem solved. Now there's an issue with print head touching the bed on the first layer and clogging the head but I've found some other threads addressing the problem. There's a wealth of information to mine on here. Call me crazy but learning about this machine, how it's build, and how to tweak it is probably going to be the fun part for me.
    BTW...tech support did respond last night.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ken you need to adjust your z height offset. Start with the value they supplied and add .1 to it until it no longer touches the bed.

The tweaking of the printer is more fun for me than the actual printing :)

15. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Thanks Mike, I'll try that. I went through the bed level steps several times last night but MC locked up right at the end every time. T Support send an MC upgrade I'm hoping will fix the program freezing.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You need to add G29 code to your startup codes after G28. The auto-level stuff in MC is out of date and should be locked out.

17. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

You just jumped way over my head with that one. I read your bed leveling mod page but don't want to go there yet although I see your reasoning and agree. Are we talking about the code that is accessed under the slicer tab?

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah the bed leveling mod is already in place. Just need to enable the code for it to run the sequence. It needs to run at the start of the print after you home it.

Under matter control advanced controls, slice settings, printer, custom G-code, there's a Start G-code block that has a G28 ;home all axes in there. Make a line after that and input

Code:
    G29    ;Autolevel
    That will add that to the startup.

19. Ken Sierk

Ken Sierk New Member

Will do Mike. I already owe you a beer and your working on my firstborn :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.