1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Overnight/Longer prints

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by crazyshakespeare, Dec 29, 2015.

1. crazyshakespeare

I have had my R1 + for a little over a month now and was just curious about running the printer overnight or really long print times(8 +hrs). Any advice, or issues in doing so? How safe is it to leave it going while you sleep? I know these are probably extremely amateur questions but Ive never seen anyone really talk about it.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. crazyshakespeare

Oh wow, thanks Mark....those are def. helpful....Im going to look into building the smoke detector, but not so sure about them wiring it into the powerstrip lol

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The idea is for it to turn of the printer if you can't or aren't awake.
    If you are going to be able to then a regular smoke alarm works fine.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hey CrayBard, I am just finishing up a 24 hour print. The room already has a smoke alarm in it so I will notice if it goes off, wished I had a filament sensor, but just don't want to invest more in the Robo since I am in the process of building a much larger printer. But both of those and a way to remotely monitor your prints could set you up to be able to set up a print job, watch the first layer and then just walk away until its done. An addition like a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi and a USB webcam could make that setup complete.

7. usafitz

usafitz Member

I just set mine up yesterday with OctiPi and it's an even better upgrade than the LCD screen... And you know everybody loves those! $50, and a little bit of time, and you're in business.

8. crazyshakespeare

Hey Waldo, how big of a printer are you building? So far that's the only drawback I am finding with my R1+...too many large projects without slicing. I've looked into the beast mod but still think I might need more size.

Thanks for all the advice on longer prints def. going to look into all the advised upgrades!

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@crazyshakespeare - Here is what I am building, about 14" cubed build area, with the entire 14" square heated area on the bed. Not like the Robo, that only heats 80% of their build area. Still waiting on a few electrical connectors and wiring needs to be done. I am also reprinting a few parts since I now have my Robo printing as good as any printer costing 2x or 3x as much.

10. crazyshakespeare

Very cool...I completely agree with the the heated area of the Robo. I think I will have to wait till I extend my y-axis before I upgrade to a larger heat bed. Thank again for the help