1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved "overtemp" tripping too easily

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben R, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

SO, looks like this is a problem going around.

It appears that I am hitting the fuse and shutting down. Keep getting the extruder shutting off.
    This can be the poly switch, a thermistor and the heating element.
    But it could be any of them right? I ordered new thermistors.. and am about to order a new heating coil. I'm comfortable soldering in a new resettable fuse, but don't want to screw up that if its not the problem.

I already set my temps high and low to prevent it shutting off from over temp. So I think its the over power.

Question really is... I've had the thermistor fall out a couple times and had runaway heaters... could repeated runaways have damaged the heater?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Possible, but if it still heats it is likely fine.
    It is a 40w cartridge heater. Cheap enough if it does die.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What temperatures are you printing at? Keep the terminal window open and see what the error is

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Well.. using whatsits.... matter control, it doesn't seem to exhibit an error.

I think I found the problem... messing around to see if I had a short in any of my wires... my thermistor came uplugged. Maybe the looseness was causing problems.
    I've printed a couple things fine since. We'll see if it keeps up.
    I print between about 200 and 235. Doesn't seem to matter much which material / temp I'm using.

More looking for some school on diagnosis and technology. If the ceramic coil can get weak, then it would be something to chase down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.