1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Palette Multi-Color Printing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BenMac, May 30, 2016.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

What do you guys think?

I was excited until I saw the price tag. I still would love to have one, but $1000 just to have multiple colors is a tad much right now. Even so, it is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

2. 3D Printer Man

I want one. it will allow for multi color printing.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought that thing went off the market lol. I dont think it would be worth it. I could buy another printer and hundreds of paints for that money :D .

not to mention it slices blue and yellow for example....that makes green for a certain portion of the hotend. Alot of the jobs I do (and ones for myself) I cant have that 3rd unwanted color in the mix :D .

4. BenMac

BenMac Member

I wasn't really aware of this particular device. I know that there have been several attempts at multi-color printing. I find this one to be quite interesting. True, one could buy several printers for the price of this one device. Then again, there are people willing to buy printers for +$2000. So, multi-color printing without buy a new printer may be attractive to them.

True, that could be a problem. I would have to see more of the device in action to see just how much this sort of thing could be a problem.

Geof likes this.
  5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I would assume that you'd use something like Simplify3D's Prime Pillar settings when printing in multiple colors with this, but since they specifically mention providing their own slicing software I'm not sure how well it will really work in practice.

Geof likes this.
  6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Having grown up building model planes, boats, and cars, I have no problem breaking out the Testor paints and making my prints whatever color scheme I want in the details. Normally with 3d printing there is some post processing you have to do anyway for things you want displayed. The concept of a machine like this is very interesting, but I don't see it as a perfect solution. It introduces too many variables to the print job. I would feel like I would have to monitor it all closely to make sure the fresh "welded" section doesn't snap or something.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  7. 3D Printer Man

Also, i wonder went the put heat you may be able to worry about how the colors will mix. I would like to see how you will use it with the robo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk