1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Pause & resume

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Monder, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Monder

Monder New Member

hello good people,
    I was running out of filament when I decided to change it I paused then pressed home all so I can find space to change the filament but when I resumed the printer did not start from the exact point and started to print out side the area and the filament was extruding in bad shape.
    I had to start all over

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know if there is a way to resume the print where it left off.

I regularly issue a pause at the terminal but just so I can adjust my level. I just pause it for 5 to 10 seconds, adjust then it starts up again.

>G4 S005
    for 5 seconds pause and auto resume

I wonder if the steppers are locked in that position or if it's free to be pushed. If it's locked up maybe adding more seconds (to equal time to change filament) would work.

Something to try.

Monder likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi monder,
    I do a filament swap through an lcd controller. I dont have a good way doing to do it other than that.

Monder likes this.
  4. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not sure how to do it in the software, but I routinely pause to change filament. I pause (in S3D), raise it up, swap out the filament, lower, and resume. I believe I read somewhere it will stay locked for a short time when paused but then unlocks. I like that it is locked because that way I can't move it out of position.

Monder likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

On my r1+ with xxl controller i scroll to filament swap...it stops printing lifts up and moves to x/y home and retracts out the filament...then buzzes until i load new filament and press change filament again on the controller. I figure i had better give explanation...and yes all steppers are locked except the extruder. On resume it automatically goes back to where it was...works good.

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, man I like that!

Geof likes this.
  7. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Definitely trying that! I don't have the XXL, I have the full graphics controller but I assume it's the same.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id imagine so ??? I dont know, havent gotten the full graphics installed yet

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

W/O an LCD you have to pause, raise it (bump Z a specific amount, say 10mm) then swap it without moving anything (harder than it sounds) and then drop the Z 10mm (back to where it started) and resume.

Monder and Rigmarol like this.
  10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

LOL. The funny thing is I have an LCD and was doing it this way because I didn't know any better. I was actually getting prety good at it - haha. I am definitely using the LCD from now on!

mark tomlinson, Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When you do it with the LCD the steppers stay locked in position so accidental moves are not going to happen either :)

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  12. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I use the Full Graphics LCD Filament Change option. It works awesome. I actually just had to use it for the first time yesterday! The only issue I had with it, was the extruder goes to almost home on the X-axis which made it fairly difficult to swap in the new filament. I have since adjusted the settings in the firmware to not move as far in the X direction.

Be aware the retraction of the filament kind of caught me off guard when I did it lol! :D

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Right ! It seriously reteacts lol and RIGHT now haha

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Only if you're quick enough to avoid the stepper motor timeout that was in the stock firmware for the longest time (extremely aggravating when the Z would timeout during a really long and intricate layer).

Is that still in the stock firmware? I know it was fixed in Waldo's custom Marlin RC thread but don't recall what the "official" firmware may have done in the last release.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not much.

16. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Okay, so yeah, everyone that has a Robo should go give Waldo's custom firmware a try. Mesh Bed Leveling rocks and everyone should use it over Auto Bed Leveling if they can.

Monder and mark tomlinson like this.