1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Phantom X axis offset..issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KTMDirtFace, Sep 7, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Thought I had all my robo's "issues" solved.

I'm getting this weird one I can't figure out.

Sometimes I go to print and when it homes and does its bed calibration it's offset on the x axis ( to the right by a few inches ) and then slams into the right side of the machine.

I have fixed it by turning it off and waiting awhile.. sometimes that doesnt work...so my other fix has been to hook it up in simplify3d on the PC and give a G28.. seems ok after that.

Its just really weird I will print and print and print.. and then all of a sudden it will be offset on X and it takes some messing around to fix it.

Still don't know what causes it or how I 'm actually fixing it.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you send G28 and G29 in terminal does it work?

3. William Muraski

i had a similar issue, mine turn out to be the driver for my z axis was under driven and would stall a bit then start up again. this affected my height during prints the more it happen the lower it would be compared to what it thought it was at. i also updated the bootloader to the Mega2560 (it had a watchdog timer issue as well and would lock up during long prints)

4. KTMDirtFace

Yes...well I think..it has when i have tired it... I can't remember if it slams into the right side when the problem happens though.. 90% of the time its all fine.

I don't know whats going on maybe its USB simplify3d and the LCD controller fighting each other. Usually i just unplug everything shut it all off for a few minutes then its fine again.

No idea how to reproduce it so i'll have to investigate when it does it again.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Maybe it's not contacting the switch or the switch isn't working properly

Frankn likes this.
  6. Frankn

Frankn Member

Maybe you have the wrong X size plugged in and it only shows up on larger prints. Just a guess, Frank

7. KTMDirtFace

Print size doesn't matter. it slams into the right wall while doing the bed leveling.

Which switch wouldn't be working? the switch is on the left side and that seems to work.

anyway its working now..its a mystery to me why it just acts up every few days.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Switches are on the Zero or 'home' side of the axis, the far (end) side is calculated.
    So if it is slamming into the X or Y max then it is likely a software issue.
    I think that is what Frankn was getting at -- that the bed size was mis-configured, but if that were the case I would expect this to happen more often. Still easy enough to check I suppose.

9. KTMDirtFace

Yea I don't know though. because when you start a print it always homes first and I don't see anything funny there.. But when the problem is occurring it starts its auto level probe probe an inch or so to the right from center. Makes no sense to me.

10. William Muraski

can you post a video of it happening?

when you run G29 in a terminal what are the values that show up? (X x.xx Y x.xx Z x.xx) from your discription it sounds like it does this slam when it's suppose to go to the mid measuring point, is that correct?

what are the steps per/mm used for X,Y,Z,E stock are 80,80,2560,E (E will change depending on filament but x,y,z should be very close to these)

do you have the Arduino software installed? if so what version is it?

how old is this printer, does it lock up or pause unexpectedly? (reason being is that there is a known problem with the watchdog timer on the Arduino, I ran into this when doing a 26hr print of a full size Starlord helmet for my brother)

have you flashed the firmware recently? (bad or incomplete flashes happen, i had this happen with Matter Control updating mine, flash failed and stuck in a update loop)

do you have a heated bed? (mine did odd things when the plug and wires failed causing power fluctuation in the power supply)

all this is to help understand you printer, whats been done, how it may have come about, and in hopes of finding your good answer/fix for it.

11. KTMDirtFace

Next time it happens ( could be days could be weeks as its random ).. i'll post.

I didn't look.. but essentially it acts confused as if the whole machine is offset in X. It Homes fine then starts the G29 bed leveling, normally that probes the center first but instead its a couple inches off to the right... and therefore all nine of the other probes are off to the right in the X axis. So ..when it does the far right 3 probes its hitting the end and slamming.

Stock, actually I changed Z becasue my printer has the 8mm threads. not at home to look at it. Pretty sure it was just uncommenting one line and commenting another. My lead screws will be here soon anyway.

Its an R1 and is a few months old. ( mid May )

No never seen it lock up.

No I haven't flashed it other than the day I got it. All I did was change to 8mm rod option so the Z came out right.. and I changed so my LCD controller would work. that was months ago.

Yea bed works fine.

Yea ..if I knew how to reproduce it I could probably figure out the problem..its pretty random and I don't know how I even fix it. unplugging it from the PC and shutting it down for awhile..usually fixes it.

Thanks i'll post more next time it happens I guess.

#11 KTMDirtFace, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    William Muraski likes this.
  12. William Muraski

"No I haven't flashed it other than the day I got it. All I did was change to 8mm rod option so the Z came out right.. and I changed so my LCD controller would work. that was months ago."
    a bit confusing with the contradiction just to clarify.
    you flashed it once when you got it and switched from the 5/16 rod's to the 8mm rod's right?

and it had i am guessing the 5/16 firmware and you ? mod the 5/16 firmware for the 8mm or did you d/l the 8mm firmware and flash?

13. KTMDirtFace

I don't recall was months ago. I guess I put the 8mm firmware on it because Z was way off out of the box ( short ) and then modded one line to get my LCD to work....been fine for months.

PS..it just did the weird thing again tonight. went to get my camera to set it up to try to catch it. pressed print again.. problem was gone. ugg! I don't think i'll ever get it on video I cant try to video every time I start a print.

its about a 1/10 bug lol..or less.

I'm just going to chalk it up to being a loose connection somewhere.. I'm rebuilding it this weekend with Lead screw updates anyway. The only other thing I can think of is my PC's USB ports are very very strange...I think they have been static shocked one too many times and do weird ass stuff.. I think the times the problem happens its plugged into my computer..even though I fired the print off from the LCD controller. I'll try shutting down the robo and unplugging the pc completley from now on. see if the problem goes away..

I like to have it connected to the PC though in case i want to b ring up the control pannel to kill it..or jog controls and whatnot ( the LCD controller is a POS so I dont do anything on it exept pick a print and say print )

#13 KTMDirtFace, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  14. William Muraski

does yours have a bottom cover on it?

15. KTMDirtFace

The printer or the LCD?
    Yes the printer does..but its propped up on 3d printed feet..if your wondering about overheating..thats not it.

16. William Muraski

yes i was wondering about that. so it's propped up on feet with the bottom cover on?
    is the fan sucking into the case or out of the case?
    are the poly fuses spread apart?
    how is the ac power grid in your area, any spikes or brown outs?
    does it mess up at any time particular during the day?
    or when the heat/AC kick on, or the frige, washer/drier or other heavy load?
    run G29 in terminal copy and paste what it kicks out?
    when you said the auto level starts an 1" to the right from center the center of what? x axis, y axis, or x and y(center of the hot bed)
    are you running windows if so under device manager>USB controllers check the property's of all USB ROOT HUBS listed > power management and uncheck the box for "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

below is a pic of the order that the G29 should be near. Heated_Bed_ROBO_3D.jpg