1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PID auto tune with fans on?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjones0216, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjones0216

mjones0216 New Member

I've upgraded to an E3DV6 extruder and installed the included thermistor. I'm attempting to do a PID auto tune because I keep getting the temp fall error. I upgraded to a 40 watt heater before the E3d, and haven't had any issues until I used the included thermistor. I run dual fans so I've been keeping the fan speed at no higher than 80% with no issue. Now, even down to 25% I'm getting the error. I'm using S3D and I can't get the fans to stay on during the auto tune. Any other programs that will allow it?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can try two things.

First make sure the thermistor type is set correctly in the firmware. The E3D thermistor is not the same 'type' as stock.

Second make sure the fans are not blowing on the extruder nozzle. They need to be aimed below it at the printed part. They are not supposed to blow more air on the nozzle as that defeats the purpose of the extruder :).

mjones0216 likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Do you have the sock for the V6? That helps with fans blowing on it and it keeping temp.

#3 danzca6, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    mjones0216 likes this.
  4. mjones0216

mjones0216 New Member

Ah gotcha, I'll have to change the thermistor type. What do I change it to? I haven't done too much with firmware besides tweaking auto level speeds. I haven't had any issues until now so I'm sure that's the problem!

I haven't socked the v6 yet. I haven't even looked at them yet but I'd like to. Those are the silicone sleeves for the block right?

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You change it to a 5 in the configuration.h tab. Yes the shocks are the blue silicone covers. They only fit the newer cartridge style heat blocks.

#5 danzca6, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 //robo

That is stock, change it to a 5 for the E3D default thermistor.

7. mjones0216

mjones0216 New Member

Thanks for the help guys! After updating the firmware and still having temp drops after 5-10 layers, I did some poking around and found that it my solder job on one thermistor wire was loose! At least it was an easy fix! I wish they didn't have such a thin wire going to the thermistor. And that damn braided insulation is a PITA!

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.