1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved (PLA) Extruder motor doesn't turn below 199C

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan Rupp, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Jonathan Rupp

Jonathan Rupp New Member

I just got a new Robo 3D R1 (seems to be a recent revision - has a ribbon cable to the bed), and after seeing some minor issues with the lower Z levels in calibration prints that seem to be heat-related, I've tried lowering the bed and extruder heat a bit to see if they have an effect.

My problem is that when the extruder head is set below 199C (I'm printing with PLA), the motor doesn't turn. If I don't have a print loaded and turn the big gear by hand, it extrudes just fine even at 190C, but below 199C, the head just moves around and the extruder motor and gear don't spin. Is there a safety setting somewhere that's keeping it from trying to print at that temp, or why can I extrude it by hand but not automatically?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, it should not be an issue. Check the communications log on whatever software you are using. If the firmware is stopping it there will be an error there.

The 'default' minimum is (or was last time I checked) 195. Which (IMHO) is still too high (I have mine set to 175) because some filaments I need to extrude colder than 195. If it is the firmware then you need to download the correct version from Robo, edit configuration.h and upload that modified version to your printer.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

4. Jonathan Rupp

Jonathan Rupp New Member

Good to know - for some reason I thought the default limit in the firmware *was* 170, but maybe I was mistaken and actually reading a recommendation to edit the limit to.

Thanks for the (very quick) advice. Will report back :)

5. Jonathan Rupp

Jonathan Rupp New Member

Well, that was easy... Applied the firmware from the site as-is since it has EXTRUDE_MINTEMP at 170, and my first test print at 190 is now underway.

Thanks for the help,

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, I am not sure what versions of the firmware are getting into the wild these days.