1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered PLA filament tends to twist while printing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by thebirdthatflies, Jul 16, 2017.

1. thebirdthatflies

thebirdthatflies New Member

Every time I switch filament, it's a battle to get the filament fed into the hotend at the right "twist" so that it isn't twisted along the length and so it doesn't cause the roll to spring out mid-print.

Recently, for this one roll I fed into the printer, I couldn't find the rotation necessary to prevent this from happening. It's not like the hotend is twirling around when it moves on the carriage, but every so often I have to readjust it after I had gotten it perfect from the previous print.
    My spool is top-mounted in a vertical orientation with the filament feeding directly down. So I occasionally have to check it and twist the entire spool 180 degrees one way or the other.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you remove the sprint tensioned screws on the greg wade hinge (dont let them go flying) you can push the filament right down the hole then put the 2 screws back. Without doing that your fishing in the dark :D it can be done and I do it often, but if I start having the issues your describing I just take the screws out :D

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am a troglodyte -- I always unscrew them all the way to swap filament.

Grog no like dealing with the springs.

Geof likes this.