1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Please release the Fan Shroud 3D source file! (POLL)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 3, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

To keep all the responses in a single place please vote at the following link. Vote here!

2. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Why would you want that? Once aimed correctly it never needs adjusted?

4. OutsourcedGuru

I found them to work well in the CNC world. The stream of cold air is tighter rather than spread out. The flexibility is useful in the unlikely event that it bumps into something so it wouldn't necessarily break the part free from the bed upon collision.

The general advice though is that it's okay to break away from how everyone else is doing it and to reinvent.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

But, you need to ask yourself, does it adds complexity and does it really improve the experience using the printer? It might do the second but at a cost of increasing complexity. Cost should be a secondary concern, with solutions nearing "Free" preferable over ones that require additional purchases.

That is one reason I never jump on the "Just buy Simplify3D" bandwagon. It costs. You can also duplicate most of the functionality in Slic3r and/or Cura. Just to be transparent, I use S3D.

There is a lot of room although constrained by other hardware for redoing the cooling. You could even repurpose the 30 cm part fan for cooling the cold zone. Almost zero cost except for time and a tiny amount of filament..

Kilrah and Geof like this.
  6. OutsourcedGuru

The re-purposing idea is probably the way to go. I just don't think I'd hold my breath for Robo 3D to cough up the file. I'd be more likely to just start from scratch and design a better one.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah, I just don't want to take it apart again just to reverse engineer a part that they already have the model for. I am hoping maybe someone else would do that, but I might just break down and look at it this weekend.

8. OutsourcedGuru

I'll eventually start a design from scratch but it won't look much like the original.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Dan from Robo has promised to release the Fusion 360 file of the printable fan shroud. He did mod it to use three 30 mm fans instead of two 30 mm and a 25 mm.