1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Powered off after a couple of minutes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by R_Lee, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

Received my printer yesterday. Went through the setup video. Performed the home all function. Everything worked great. The printer homed into position and stopped. However it powered down after only a couple of minutes. I can connect to the printer and it checks for the latest firmware and says up to date. But the leds do not turn on and do I not have any control over the unit. I cannot traverse any of the axis or preheat the bed or extruder. In the troubleshooting video it says to look underneath for a green light on the power supply. I could only see a light around the area the usb is plugged in. So I removed the bottom panel and verified there is a green light glowing on the power supply. So I have power to the supply, but nothing coming from the board. I need help troubleshooting this. Thank you for any input in advance.

Ryan

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Check all the connections to the board. Something might have come loose or unplugged.

3. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

everything seems plugged in and tight

is there a wiring diagram somewhere for this

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is about as good as it gets RAMPS.GIF

4 people like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is not Robo specific, but it is pretty much a match for the Robo.

2 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The RAMPS board (schematic above) sits on top of an Ardiuno mega (under the printer) which is what has the firmware.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a great picture mark. Added to my library

8. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

thank you very much mark

I have checked everything within my reach. I do not know how to test for proper voltages so I am basically halted until I can talk with someone at Robo.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you happen to live near a HarborFreight then you an get a meter for 5 bucks or close.
    Check the power from the power supply to the ramps (if you get a meter) and make sure the power supply is working. (should be 12v)
    Otherwise, yea, get with Robo.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does the LED turn on on the power supply?

11. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

I have power to the supply. The green led is glowing. But nothing else is coming on. When I flip the power switch, nothing happens. Even the leds next to the build plate do not turn on.

12. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

So I have my multimeter out. I test the fuse for continuity and it checks out ok. Now I want to test the switch and the power supply. I assume I set the meter to something like 20v DCV? Which terminals should I test and what should the meter values be?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Look at the picture. the lower left-hand side of the board is where the power from the power supply is coming into the RAMPS.

20v DC is fine. The picture even shows you + and - terminals. There are two sets of each, testing either one is good enough.

14. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

So I have 2.53 volts coming out of the power supply. I also have 2.53v where it connects to the board.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is bad. It should be on the order of 12v (not 2.5v).
    Contact Robo and work with them to sort out exactly what is bad and get a replacement.
    (Either the P/S or the RAMPS/Arduino)
    I suspect the P/S, but I suppose a defective RAMPS could pull down the P/S...

16. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

Thanks again for you reply. I have gone through the appointy protocol and setup my appt with a tech. It is not till 4pm though. I will let you know what I find out.

2 people like this.
  17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Check the power switch on the power supply. It should be 115 in North America.. Check
    To make sure it didn't get flipped!

18. R_Lee

R_Lee New Member

Update!! Received a new power supply from Robo. Very easy to swap out. The printer powered right up. I have printed the calibration block and it came out pretty nice first print right off the bat. Right now I am printing the wrench. Everything seems OK. Thank you Robo. This printer seems like a nice setup. Not sure why some folks knock the build quality. This is a capable machine.

3 people like this.
  19. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

Congrats on getting the printer working; it's a great feeling to see it start printing after making repairs when you're new at this.

I love my printer, but I've also been hit by some build quality issues. Like yourself, I don't knock the machine just because it has assembly problems, but the quality control isn't exactly perfect. My extruder tried committing suicide a few days ago due to a shoddy wiring job at the extruder fan connection to the RAMPS board, but luckily it was easy to sort out and get back to printing.

It kind of reminds me of owning a classic muscle car; you get great performance, but be ready to break out your toolbox at any time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.