1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print area, heated area not the same

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Toro1966, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - quick question.

I know from reading the myriad of posts here that it is routine that the heated section of the bed is different from bed to bed. I also know through the excellent people on here that the screen printed Robo print area graphic on the glass means nothing with respect to where the printer will actually print.

In the case of my printer, the computer sees the print area as going over the printed line to the rear of the print bed by a decent amount. That 's not a problem, but I have noticed that the forward section (in front of the graphic) is definitely warmer than past the rear graphic line. This is not optimal since that makes the hot area extend beyond the print area in one direction and not enough in the other direction.

Can I remove the heated pad portion (which seems to be held in place by tape) and move it back farther on the bed?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It's quite a pain to do this. I'd suggest looking into getting a larger heater. In the mods section there are threads on this

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Geof. I'll search some more. It doesn't look that difficult. In just looks like it is taped on there. Is it glued or attached in another way?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It's held on with a 3m adhesive backing. The tape only holds the cork on.

5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Ahh. That makes sense. That said, I just put in a request to Robo for a new bed. We have two Robos in the house including this one and the other one heats perfectly. Looking at this one more closely, I think it has to be defective.

It heats up no problem and you can feel the heat but it barely gets to the white line on one side and doesn't even come close on the other side. My sons, on the other hand heats the bed pretty evenly.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If they send you a new bed id be happy to take your old one :)

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I actually move all of my prints towards the front of the bed just a little bit before slicing. Seem to always get better prints when I do this for some odd reason.

8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Geof :) If they send me a new one I might actually use the old one to try and upgrade at some point in the future. For now, I just want it to heat where it is supposed to heat. Lol

Thanks Ryan. My prints are coming out fine so far because they have either been PLA - which really doesn't need the PLA - or smaller ABS/PETG prints that are set right in the center where the bed is actually warming. I'm hoping they send me another so I can print larger pieces in ABS/PETG.

9. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well I am a little frustrated at Robo. Customer Service responded very quickly as always and agreed to send a new heater. But they would not send the glass. These parts apparently come separate - which I am fine with. I am not fine, however, with having to spend hours pulling off the old tape/heater and screwing up the paint in the process. They recommended I send it back to Amazon. That is of course what I am going to do, it just surprises me. I have an MBA and that does not make good business sense. Basically I am going to send this printer back for an exchange to Amazon - they will send the old defective one back to Robo, and Robo will have to refurbish and sell it used. They will lose half the value of the printer when they could have spent $60 on a heater and glass....

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it was me i wouldnt send it back. No 2 printers will be the same. They do not warranty the glass. Keep in mind this is just my opinion :)

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is not you, it is just policy :)
    Well that and insurance.

12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks guys. Kills me. Still on the fence. Regardless of which way I choose, I think I am going to order a new glass from them anyway - and pay the 40 bucks or whatever it is - and then order a new aftermarket heater. This way I can have the look of the original bed - which I like - and i get a much better heater. Thoughts?

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good idea if you are up to it.
    Like most problems with this printer you are far better off fixing it to your own satisfaction if you are up to it. :)

14. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark. Definitely don't think it's beyond my skill level, just possibly beyond my desire :)

I actually collect and restore arcade and pinball machines so I am comfortable with things like this. Just have a lot of projects :)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.