1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Print Bed heats past set temp and throws error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Doug Caggiano, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Doug Caggiano

Doug Caggiano New Member

Hi All,
    I hope this isn't a bad print bed. After troubleshooting a past issue, I can't start a print job. I hope I just did something wrong with the wiring. When I am warming up the bed prior to the print job, the bed temp shoots past the set temp and eventually triggers a temperature error canceling the print. What could cause this?

Thanks!
    Doug

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The RAMPS board is the most likely suspect.
    That is the one on top of the arduino.

The MOSFET Q3 has a tendency to fail and if it fails one way the bed will not heat at all and the other way is to have it runaway on temp.

If you have an R1 these are cheap on Amazon (standard Ramps 1.4 card) if you have an R1+ then you need to get a custom one from Robo or see this thread here about converting:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I see you said you did some wiring? You didn't by chance swap the extruder thermistor with the heatbed thermistor did you? What wiring did you do?

mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I did just that when I was testing a busted thermister. But it was on purpose for testing. The temp on the bed went way over temp I set for the bed because it was actually the wire for the nozzle. I was chasing down my issue where I had a zero temp on the nozzle so they guys had me swap wires to see if the problem followed the swap out.

It does sound like you may have the two swapped.

5. Doug Caggiano

Doug Caggiano New Member

I have an R1Plus. Whoever assembled this unit did a bad job. I've found all kinds of things done incorrectly. In this case, the power wires were loose in the power connector that plugs into the RAMPS board. It arced and fried that RAMPS board and possibly the arduino. I replaced the boards with another that already had the correct firmware on it. (ROBO 3d had to ship me a lot of parts early on). That's when I started having the problem. It is possible that I swapped thermistors. I will consult the tutorial and report back.

6. Doug Caggiano

Doug Caggiano New Member

I have T0 going to the hot end and T1 going to the bed.

7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

swap them and see what happens. Just don't walk away, watch the temp to see if the problem follows the swap.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.